• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

engine swap questions

CromeY90

NAXJA Forum User
k before you all flame on me i just searched for a hour and a half looked threw all the threads and didn't find out what i wanted so the question is i got given a 90 xj cant get it to run tried a bunch of stuff think the motor is blown so i am gonna buy a rebuilt 89 engine so for the swap what do i need to keep and what do i need to change as in i kno the gauges are different like the 89 is idiot light and the 90 isnt so i kno i need to change the sensors but what else do i need to change the computer or anything else or is it pretty much a bolt in swap? also can i keep my cruise and ac or are they different between the two years? any thing else would be greatly appreciated as because i am starting the swap next weekend and i dont wanna swap it in and forget to do something and have it still not run thanks in advance

Just swap it, '89 to '90 it's all the same. Just swap the motor, use all of your sensors and electronics, but they're the same anyway.

Only thing that should be different is the oil pressure sensor near the filter and the temp sensor in the back corner of the head.

Back