• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

should i instal my drop pitman arm?

shortbussrydah

NAXJA Forum User
i ordered a drop pitman with my adj. drop trackbar (i have a 4.5" lift), and now im hearing that you dont need one till you get into the 6-8" range. i may not need one, but if i have it, should i instal it anyway? it just seems like it would help return my angles to a more stock specs...

Check your drag link angle against your trackbar angle. Remember the imaginary line is from mounting bolt to mounting bolt regardless what kind of bends the bar has. If lowering the driver side of the drag link will bring the drag link closer to having the same angle as the track bar then install the drop pitman arm. If it doesn't improve that angle then don't bother. If you install a drop pitman arm it is a good idea to also install a steering box brace as the drop pitman arm will increase the stress applied to the steering gearbox.

How much drop?

Assuming you got the normal ZJ 3/4-1" drop pitman arm, then definitely put it on. If you look closely, the drag link and track bar actually line up better in most cases with a slight pitman arm drop. Plus, it decreases the angles on the drag link joints slightly. Either way, put it on.

If you got the mongo drop Skyjacker pitman arm, then don't bother.

I have horrible bump steer with my drop pitman arm. Not sure how big of a drop it is (PO don't know jack) but i'm planning on going to the jy as soon as i have a puller that will work and pulling a stock one to put on. My 89 has the stock pitman arm and it's at roughly 6" of lift with no problems at all. I say if it ain't broke don't fix it. So unless you're having death wobble or bump steer or what have you, don't put it on, send it back and you'll find some extra money to spend. :)

it is a good idea to install a steering box brace.

I think it's a good idea to have a steering box brace drop pitman arm or not. Maybe i'm paranoid haha but this for me is one of those better safe than sorry things. That is, if you don't already have one.

Back