• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

sloppy steering box: really big dead spot

tayman

NAXJA Forum User
Alright, so I'm absolutely positive that it's not my steering joints that are loose. I have crossover heim steering. it's NOT the linkages.

I've turned the wheel back and forth with the engine off just to the points that it gets tight. I see that the steering shaft is turning inside the box, but the pitman arm isn't turning.

Is there a way to adjust this on the box? it's making driving a little sketchy. What's the best way to go about fixing this? New box? :dunno: :dunno: :dunno:

It's adjustable, best done on the bench. There is an adjustment you can do in-vehicle but you want to go in small increments. There is a hex nut holding a threaded thing on the top of the box. Loosen the nut and tighten the other piece 1/4 turn with an allen wrench. Tighten up the nut again. Why doesn't anyone want to buy an FSM????

I actually looked in the FSM and the one I looked at seemed rediculous and only seemed to show the basic setup. not how to tighten it. also what I've read is that that adjustment is only for preload, not for taking slop out of the box. I've also tried that adjustment both directions, and neither seemed much better or worse.

The fsm will tell you how to make two adjustments; however, you have to have the unit out of the car to do it. You'll need an inch-pound torque wrench to set it up correctly.

gotcha. I however, am a broke college kid, and can't afford one. do you know of any writeups on it?

Before you get too far on trying to adjust the box, check the pitman shaft for side play. That often gets bad first. Get someone to turn the wheel back and forth while you're underneath looking for lost motion.

alright thanks. is that something you'd be able to see with the PS pump not turning? aka engine off?

cool. thanks.

cool. thanks.
It's more or less the same on the XJ's Saginaw box, though the factory procedure differs a bit, and the lash adjuster is on top, not side. It is imperative, also, that you make that adjustment only when the steering is on center. It is designed to be tighter on center, and if you adjust it off center, it runs the risk of binding when you center the steering (read "it could kill you").

I would hit your local pull and save and snag one.

believe it or not I have a parts jeep... I just wanted to know if there was something I could do without replacing the whole damn box.

Back