• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Spray Painting An XJ.

1988XJ

NAXJA Forum User
I'm wanting to paint my '88 XJ flat tan using the Krylon Fusion Flat Tan spray paint. I have 11 cans and I'm wanting to just spray the Jeep with one coat. The problem is the weather. They're calling for mid 50's all this week with nothing but sun. Is that warm enough weather to paint in? The can says to paint in 50-85 degree weather. I'll be painting the Jeep outside. All the prep work is done except for taping everything off. I'll be removing the doors and fenders to paint them inside my building but everything else will be painted outside. Do you have any tips for painting in colder weather? I've been told to let the paint cans sit in a bowl of warm water. I sprayed my last jeep with bedliner in 25 degree weather and it stuck to the paint fine so I'm assuming I'll be fine with mid to high 50's and sunshine. What do y'all think? Any input would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

It's pretty low temps to paint anything metal, especially with a Krylon rattle can. I don't think the problem is the paint not being warm enough. When it hits the 50 degree Jeep is the problem, Drying and curing the paint etc.

But if you consider that it's a $75 paint job, go for it. I sprayed my MJ with gray primer in 48+ weather after the PO had sanded the crap out of it and left alot of bare metal, just to protect the metal.

This isn't exactly a high end paint job so just give it a try and see how it goes with the first can.

I rattle canned my axles in 40 degree weather. The paint blushed a little and it took a while to set up but it turned out alright. I agree with everyone else, try a spot and see what happens. I think youll be alright with that flat tan. Id be more worried about the humidity than the temp.

Not sure about krylon but i used the duplicolor truck bed liner in a can at almost freezing and it worked fine and set up fast i couldnt believe it.

I'm thinking of taping it off tomorrow morning and starting on it in the afternoon. It's been really rainy around here for the past two days. I wish by some miracle it would stop raining right now and warm up a lot. I think with mid 50's and the Jeep being in direct sunlight it will okay. Thanks for the input everyone!

DSCF2238.jpg

That is a rattle can job i did. The bottom part is the roll on bed liner though. That was a year ago and it still looks pretty good. It was engine enamel though.

How hard was it to use the bed liner stuff?
Im planning on putting that on the inside of mine.
I already ripped out the carpet and I have a few metal holes to patch.

I'm wanting to paint my '88 XJ flat tan using the Krylon Fusion Flat Tan spray paint.

isn't Krylon Fusion for plastic? :dunno:

I bedlined my rockers (below the door line to the pinch seam) with Rustoleum in-a-can bedliner. Its real easy to use and sets up fast. Came out with a great finish and no runs, and i sprayed it in 30 degree temp. Gotta put a few more coats on when winter's over though...it got way too cold to finish the job but i wanted something rustproof on it before the salt season.

Last edited:
How hard was it to use the bed liner stuff?
Im planning on putting that on the inside of mine.
I already ripped out the carpet and I have a few metal holes to patch.

RearQuarter.jpg

My previous rig with the liner from trim down. I used the "roll-on" style bed liner, by Dupil-color. the stuff is AWESOME! I would HIGHLY recommend going with roll-on, vs the spray stuff. The texture with roll-on is much nicer! For the body, I sanded to the primer. Applied (i think) 3 coats, and never chipped.

For the bumpers, I thought that roughing the surfaces would be good enough... but i had some troubles there. If i were to do it over, I'd prime the bare metal.

As for temps, I would worry more about humidity. I had some painting problems when I painted near dusk outside (temps were in the 70's). The humidity can make your paint look "hazy". If your painting in direct sunlight, it will help immensely! Just don't paint after sundown if humidity could be a problem. Good luck!

Back