• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

55 miles on almost half a tank whats wrong?

kdub41

NAXJA Forum User
2000 cherokee only going about 10 miles wheeling in 4 lo for about half the time and then just driving around town i have only gone 55 miles and used almost half a tank :(. And there is an evap code popping up. i just dont have the code number but what do you think it could be? and i have noticed sometime if its on an incline the jeep spudders for a min then goes back to normal. what could this be???:flamemad:

*waves magic wand*

Do you know how hard it is to troubleshoot what you just said with the information you just gave?

I bet it's got something to do with your trouble code. Why don't you start there?

cuz i dont have a code reader lol
some guy ran it and i forgot the code

Most auto parts stores have code readers, Drive over there and see what it is.

autozone will read the codes no charge

typically the evap system is just for capturing fumes, but you might have a leak or something else serious which would explain the consumption

otherwise I would look to see if the car is entering closed loop (runs really rich during warmup mode), check for vacuum pressure, etc.

but start with the code

so you cut the lines while the jeep is running?

Considering you have absolutly no automotive experience. You should find a helper who at least knows a little about basic auto mechanic stuff.

Go get your codes rad. Even if you have to pay $20, it's the best place to start. You have a fuel, smog , or computer related problem. You can buy a basic reader for $40.

i know about mechanics just not stuff like that lol i just converted my jeep to 4x4 so i wouldn't say im completely mechanically retarted lol i just want to make sure i do this right? how much on a rough estimate would you say a mechanic would charge to do this?

how can i check the vaccum pressure by myself? and i will get the code tomorrow on my day off

If you don't have the tools to diagnose a problem or to do the work, just take it to a mechanic.

Are you also sure your gauge is functioning properly? Its all electrical so it could be wrong.

all i know is that i am getting like 8 miles a gallon or maybe 10 and i have not even been driving it hard. and everything seems to be running fine but just shitty gas mileage

i noticed when i fist got it and it was 2wd before i converted it i was able to go about 100 miles on a 1/4 tank with 33's and stock 3.55 gearing then when i put in the new tranny and t-case and front axle it just dropped. i also cut off the exhaust at the y pipe and ran it for about 5 miles do you think that could have messed up the o2 sensors?

ARE you running rich?

Pull the spark plugs and check their condition--here is a nice link: http://www.machv.com/diagsparplug.html

Report back what you find, post a link to some pictures of your plugs if you are unsure.

Back