• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

'89 xj Keyless entry

gobigorgohome

NAXJA Forum User
I personally hate electrical but im not willing to go to the stealership for this.

Ok so heres the deal, i recently swapped the front doors from my 90 cherokee to my 89 cherokee and the rke no longer works. I replaced the batteries in the remote and checked all my fuses. What would cause this failure? Any help or tips would be greatly appreciated.

I know this isn't something i need, but it would be nice to have a working one for times i don't wanna have to fumble around keys. And since im not to good with electrical, i probably won't understand a bunch of technical terms and such

Forgive the simple questions, but did you get doors with power door locks? Did you swap the door locks from your old doors to "new"? Do you hear any clicks or thunks when you activate the door locks?

Seems to the that the early RKE are essentially junk. I think one poster stated he had to be sitting in the driver's seat for his to work.

As you have used the 89 locks--and they worked before in the 89 doors, so I would suggest you just go back over everything you did. Although the red light flashes, you could disassemble the remote and eraser all of the contacts.

I (had) RKE, I am not sure if my OHC install (yes I swapped over the RKE receiver board) or sitting on the remote too many times killed it. I'm going to be ripping it out and putting a custom system in at some point anyways.

The older remotes are indeed crap, they're IR based and mine likely failed in less than a year of me owning it. I am a little hard on handheld electronics though.

I assume by "no longer works", that it did before door swap.

Pull the pass kick panel off and double check the connections, especially to the lock/unlock relays. When you activate the locks with the fob, one of them should click.

rskickpanel_0127Small.jpg

Seems to the that the early RKE are essentially junk. I think one poster stated he had to be sitting in the driver's seat for his to work.

As you have used the 89 locks--and they worked before in the 89 doors, so I would suggest you just go back over everything you did. Although the red light flashes, you could disassemble the remote and eraser all of the contacts.

On my '91, I pretty much have to have the remote up against the window facing the IR sensor for it to unlock. Mine are really interesting, because there are some times they will unlock first try, other times (like this morning) when I no matter how many times I press it, and how many times I switch sides of the Jeep, it just won't want to work.

The worst part is, unless I use the remote, the alarm will go off if I unlock the Jeep with the key.

Back