• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

having problems geting my stock shackles off

kpj2xj

NAXJA Forum User
I got a bout half a turn on the bolt and the nut on the inside of the body just spins!! i ges i broke the weld? i cut a whole on the unibody to get to the nut but i cant grip the nut with anything! anyone had a simaler problem?

I think you can cut an access hole through the back of the "frame rail" once your removed the rear bumper and its mounts.

Also make sure your positive its broken. Ive seen a few people start cutting only to figure out the welds were not broken.
Its normal to hear all kinds of ungodly noises when your trying to loosen the shackel bolt. PB oil and a 3ft breaker bar are a must.

If it is broken just do a search here and youll find several threads that cover it, some with pictures.

Is it advised to not use air tools to remove the shackles in fear that it'll tear up the mount? It seems like air tools would make this an easy job.

Just curious....

I got a bout half a turn on the bolt and the nut on the inside of the body just spins!! i ges i broke the weld? i cut a whole on the unibody to get to the nut but i cant grip the nut with anything! anyone had a simaler problem?
can you physically see or feel the nut spinning? if thats the case id just weld it back on there, give it some time to cool, PB blast it, and try to unscrew it again...

The shackle and leaf bolts were rusted beyond belief when I took them out.

If it turns out the nut's weld isn't broken then soak it in pb blaster, liquid wrench, wd40...etc and you might have to end up using a prybar to get it out once it's out of the threads.

From the time I posted earlier until now, I replaced my shackles with JKS units and tested them as well. I must have been lucky, but it was a super easy install. Just keep at it and it'll come out. Air tools make it way easier too! Install took less than an hour.

Back