• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

electric fan replace mechanical AND aux fan?

4Doors

NAXJA Forum User
I just bought a 2 speed Taurus fan on ebay, and was wondering if it could handle my cooling needs as well as take the role of the aux a/c condensor fan. My aux fan is shot so I'd love it if this new fan could just handle it all. Thanks.

It should be able to handle it. Make sure to run big enough wires. The ones to the aux fan now won't handle it. Just like for big lighting, etc., you need big enough relays and wires.

I would recommend having fans cover the entire radiator, you never know if that one fan will go out or if you need the extra cooling on the other side.

It should be fine for cooling, i just worry about the single failure point.

I am running 3 10" fans that probably move 1200 cfm each.

you could mount the taurus fan vertically in place of your mech fan as most of us do here.
http://www.go.jeep-xj.info/HowtoTaurusFanInstall1.htm

or you could mod your stock e fan with the taurus fan motor.
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1022029

what exactly is shot with your stock e fan? if its just the motor then the second link may be an option for you. i have put a taurus fan in place of my mech fan and i am using a aftermarket controller for it. the fan i originally put in my heep gave out (seized bearings) one day as i was coming home from work about 1 mile out. my stock e fan is the only thing that got me home without overheating too bad. i wouldnt want to trust just one fan cause if it goes south, your SOL.

if you replace your mech fan with the taurus fan remember that you will need to remove the mech fan- you can keep or remove the pulley. if you ditch the pulley you will need a new belt (i used a belt for an 83 jeep cherokee without ac and without power steering when i first did my fan). if you mount your taurus fan vertically then you can add a separate trans cooler in the "bottom" of the fan behind the cross member. and you would need a way to control the fan be it with the engine triggering the stock aux fan or with a switch or with an aftermarket controller.

what exactly is shot with your stock e fan?
I'm guessing bearings; I can move the thing side to side. It will turn on when it is supposed to, but it usually makes an awful noise that stops as soon as I turn the a/c-defrost off to make the fan stop.

if you mount your taurus fan vertically then you can add a separate trans cooler in the "bottom" of the fan behind the cross member.
I've got an AX-15.

and you would need a way to control the fan be it with the engine triggering the stock aux fan or with a switch or with an aftermarket controller.
I plan to use the flex-a-lite controller.

This is a 2wd that spends 95% of its time on road, with the other 5% being service roads on a hunting lease. Since I have no need for a trans cooler I would mount the fan horizontally to cover the radiator. If I removed the aux fan, would my a/c be less effective without a dedicated condenser fan? Would the larger taurus fan and a modified shroud that covered the entire radiator handle cooling and a/c needs?

Back