• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Pinion seal removal tool ?

You can pry the seal out with a screwdriver. Just use the screwdriver to grab the lip of the seal.

To put it in use a pipe or very large socket that fits onto the metal part of the seal and hammer it in, I generally put a VERY small amount of RTV on the mating surface (just a thin film).

It seems that I cannot get metal part out :(

Rubber part has separated from metal, and I can't get the metal out. Seems like it is pressed in very hard.. I doubt it is rusted in, but who knows..

Get a bigger screw driver or prybar. Overtime, they get stuck, and you just have to mangle the hell out of them to get them out. Just make sure you dont get to carried away and hurt the area that it sits against. you could always take a hack saw blade out of the saw, and very very very carefully cut the seal ALMOST all the way through, and then work it out.

Just use a hammer and screwdriver and hit the screwdriver towards the center of the pinion, away from the mating edge.

A screwdriver or a seal removal tool works well. you can find a seal removal tool at any auto parts store.

To put them in since you are dealing with the pinion being in the way, I use some PVC(white plastic pipe) with a similar outside diameter as the seal and cut it off long enough to clear the pinion shaft. I then glue on a PVC cap(with PVC glue) to give me a solid hammering surface. The plastic will keep you from buggering up the splines on the pinion or the seal surface if you slip and you can always make another installer if you mess one up.

I use a similar installation tool for the seal on the pump for the AW4 tranny. It works great and cost very little to make

If its stuck, I put the screwdriver in between the seal and the housing from the outside. Then pound the screw driver in a little and the seal will collapse in that area, then you can usually get a good enough grip on it from the inside to pry it the rest of the way out.

x2 on the thin coat of rtv when putting it back in, just in case you scratch the housing with the screw driver.

mr_W said:
Okay, it is clear to me now. I was just little bit worried not to damage pinion itself..

Thanks for help!

How do you tighten it back up again without changing the pinion depth/ backlash?

Back