• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Can't Remove ABS Ring, Need HELP!

DT|Ac1d

NAXJA Forum User
Alright, long story short I'm replacing everything but the axle tube and ring and pinion. So new knuckles, ball joints, CV joints, trackbar, steering stabilizer and wheel bearings. Just finished up all the tie rods and rod ends. Now I've run into the problem of removing the ABS Rings from my new CV Joints (Inner/Outer shafts and joint/boot). The guy at a few of my local auto parts stores as well as les schwab told me to just hit it off. I've been pounding on them a while with a 3lb. hammer and they haven't even shown a single sign of budging. Any Ideas on how to get these damn things off? Since I dont have ABS can I leave these on or do they have to be removed?

just leave em on, they won't cause any problems. If you really want them off, get a cold chisel at home depot, put it between some teeth, and whack it a few times, break the ring in half and pull it off. They should be fine sitting there though, unless you mushroomed them out enough hitting them with a hammer that they'll actually hit something.

Cool, I'll post up a reply on how everything goes. Unfortunately I'm waiting on 1 of the wheel bearings so I couldn't start it last night. Whats weird is I just did all the steering rods and end links pretty recently. One of the boots over the rod ends(at the knuckle) is smashed and cracked in half on the bar that goes from the pitman arm to the passenger knuckle. Can I just replace the boot or do I have to replace the whole bar. The joint is part of the bar at the knuckle. Also the boot on the rod end(drivers side) is completely gone from the bar that goes knuckle to knuckle. Luckily I can Just replace the rod end so if I can't just get the boot I can pick the rod end up for cheap.

Last edited:
You should be able to find/buy another boot.

I hope the guy who told you to hammer on a new part will honor the warranty if you have to return it.

Back