• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

lifter issue?

AJTorris

NAXJA Forum User
So i took my jeep into a shop today to figure out why it was sputtering. They found a vacume leak, spark plug boot was cracked, and they said my lifters are pretty worn. So i was wondering if that could cause my sputter i am getting at higher RPMs? Its happening around 3500 to 3800 RPMs and sounds like a rev limiter.

:dunno:Is there a way to put in newer lifters or is it not worth it and should i put in my spare motor?:dunno:

1987 4.0 AW4 231 30/44 200K miles roughly.

Last edited:
Could be several things, but I doubt it's the lifters. Shop said they were worn, was it because of the noise? Don't they know "They all sound like that."?

More likely something to do with needing a tune-up. New spark plugs and wires, dist. cap and rotor should help. Check the coil. Clean contacts and all the engine ground wires.

There is a very slight chance that the valve springs are too weak to close the valves at higher R.P.M.'s (valve float), but I doubt it.

hmm i just did plugs, cap rotor, wires, and swapped coils... changes nada. Its a jeep shop owned by my buddies dad. He told me i shouldnt be reving the motor that high anyways and i need to quit driving like his son LMAO... But like i said it feels like a rev limiter. In N i can get it to go past it a bit but while drive it will sit there and pop and sputter just like a rev limiter.... I can drive it perfectly fine just cant get on it really. But it is just annyoing as hell.

Back