• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Upgrading the 8.25

95meangreen

NAXJA Forum User
I was wondering what it takes upgrade the Chrysler 8.25 from the 27 spline to the 29 spline. Is it the axle shaft shafts of the whole ring and pinion? and if so how much would that cost me? im about to run a d35 locked but im only running 31s but when i upgrade tires i need beefier axles. Ill have time them to upgrade the 8.25 that im pulling. Is it worth the trouble to upgrade it?

you'll need the shafts and carrier

One of the nice things about the 8.25 is there is no carrier break, same carrier whether 3:07's or 4:10's so if you plan on a locker get one for a 29 spline then pick up some nice custom axles and do the disc brake conversion at the same time. Actually it might even be worthwhile to find one from a yard and build it out of the jeep, then it's just a matter of swapping.
I put an auburn in mine but thats as far as I have gotten, everytime I get the cash for doing my gears [which I already have for both axles] something else comes up like a hot water heater, dishwasher, etc... very frustrating..

I don't think you will need the carrier, you will need the axle shafts and the side gears inside the carrier. Or you could go with a locker, then you wouldn' need side gears, because they would be replaced by the locker.

Blue XJ said:
I don't think you will need the carrier, you will need the axle shafts and the side gears inside the carrier. Or you could go with a locker, then you wouldn' need side gears, because they would be replaced by the locker.

really? because i want to lock it would i still need the side gears if i was going to weld it?

you coulda just asked me :D you need the shafts and the carrier. you can do the side gears but swapping carriers is pretty easy and usually if you buy that stuff used you end up with a a carrier (if your gonna weld it a spare carrier is nice). you will need all the little parts and peices if your gonna weld it, what gets welded together are the 4 inner spider gears. you should be advised i ran mine welded as a DD when i had the 8.25 in it and it was not a pleasant experience, i watched a set of baja claws wear away in a little over a month and a half. if you want my opinion, skip the 29 spline upgrade (the strength gain is negligible) and drop about 400 in a powertrax no slip for the rear, you will be a lot happier that way than if you weld it

Blue XJ said:

Wrong. If you do an open carrier, you will need a new carrier, side spider gears, and shafts(obviously). The 29 spline shaft is a bigger diameter, and the side gears are also bigger(obviously). With those(the side gears) being bigger, the hole in the carrier that they(the side gears) go into, is also bigger, allowing for the bigger 29 spline shaft to fit.

Get a 29 spline Detroit and some dutchman or superior shafts and your done. You will like the detroit wayyyy better than welded.

AlloyUSA also sells the upgraded shafts for the 27 and 29 spline. I believe 4wd.com sells them for about $100 a pop, so you might be able to find them a tad cheaper.

I have a 27 spline and have added disc brakes, JKS shock mounts, 4.10 gears and bearings. Obviously I have some $ invested on the outside...now to my point. I bought a good used Powertrax from a NAXJA member for the interim. When I go to upgrade, I will buy new 29 spline axles and a Detroit to put into my current housing. I figure I can at least have a traction device for now and later get the good stuff. BTW I run 31's so I'm not too concerned with ripping stuff apart. Just my .02 worth.
Tony

Im pretty sure I know the answer but with if you buy a detroit dont you have to have your gears reset-up? I want to up grade to the 29 spline but dont have the money for a regear yet.

Andrew

Back