• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Trouble Finding Correct Radiator

JD'S-XJ

NAXJA Forum User
Has anyone ever had this problem with they're XJ?

1998 XJ 4.0 AT with A/C

I ordered a radiator from our wholesaler and it is different than what came out of the jeep. The lower hydraulic transmission return line on the radiator they sent me has this 90 degree looking elbow that appears a rubber hose would slide over and clamp on, but on my radiator the the lower hydraulic line actually screws scraight into the radiator it self. I gave them the VIN number and that is all they show. I have been looking all over the internet and all the pictures show the 90 degree elbow. Has anyone run across a radiator like mine? The one that has the hydraulic line that screws directly into the radiator.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Tell them it's a 99, 00, or 01. It just dawned on me. Does the lower cooler 90* unscrew from the radiator and did it come with a stubby threaded double flare hydraulic fitting? If so you unscrew the metal tube and screw the fitting on then your hose will screw on.

Last edited:
I will check into that! The upper piece has the stubby piece, but the lower one just kind of screws directly into it. I wasn't sure if the lower piece would actually unscrew or not

I will check into that! The upper piece has the stubby piece, but the lower one just kind of screws directly into it. I wasn't sure if the lower piece would actually unscrew or not

I'd have to see it to know but some do, some don't.

You have the correct radiator... 97+ are all the same, im pretty sure even older xjs are interchangeable too for the most part...

the stock oem radiators allow the 90* fitting to be unscrewed/removed (which is where you probably removed it)...
off-review-cherokee7-lg.jpg

BUT, you dont remove the line by unscrewing it from the radiator, you remove the hose earlier leaving the 90* elbow in place on the radiator as shown in pic below...

most any aftermarket radiator has the fitting permanently attached. the hose actually comes off before the 90* elbow as show below...
6933d1255396245t-2000-cherokee-transmission-cooler-line-removal-xj-0.jpg

the above pic shows where it should come apart, its clipped on and they are kind of a pita to get off, but there is a tool for it, they are little fittings for ac/fuel lines... once you get it off, you just snap it back onto the new radiator...

most auto parts stores etc have them... they are called fuel line/AC line removal tools...
http://shop.oreillyauto.com/ProductDetail.aspx?MfrCode=PBI&MfrPartNumber=648339&CategoryCode=2109

then it looks like this when put back on...
7881-hoses-plugs-removed-all-except-last-bottom-fitting-found-answer-removing-asking-forum-push-slightly-you-depress-ears-then-pull-off-careful-you-pull-off-there-o-rings-plastic-spacer-inside-you-dont-want-them-falling-out-getting-lost-prop-hose-up-after-you-disassemble.jpg

does that make sense?

See the piece on my radiator is completely different than that picture. I dont have the ability to post a picture but my lower hose actually screws into the radiator just like how you screw a garden hose onto a spicket. The 90* fitting isn't anywhere close to resembling what my radiator is set up like. Has no one seen a set up like this?

As a side note i recently installed a new rad in my 98' and got an ALL METAL one from radiatorbarn.com, got it in literally a day and a 1/2 and got a tracking number 1 hour after i placed the order! and it has a lifetime warranty. Just throwing that out there if you need a rad quick and are going to return the one you have now.

IIRC the rad i put in had a threaded fitting a bit higher up and a tube sticking off below it as pictured above.

PS I bought the 3 core but apparently the 2 core has larger coolant passages and is still the same thickness so it actually cools better.? I can't tell you how mine REALLY performs only b/c i installed it in january.

Well i guess the radiator that I have in the Jeep is a one of a kind very rare beast. Every place I have gone to only has that obnoxious elbow coming off the bottom. Looks like I will be modifying the the factory jeep fitting to fit on the weird elbow thing. I just don't see why this radiator is so completely different.

Has no one ever seen the inset nut that I have on my radiator? The factory line screws into exactly like how you screw a garden hose onto an outside water spicket.

hate those quick disconnects. I make use of a torch to melt the plastic clip out, pull them apart, cut the fitting off the line, and use a hose clamp on either side of the ridge on the right-angle fitting.

hate those quick disconnects. I make use of a torch to melt the plastic clip out, pull them apart, cut the fitting off the line, and use a hose clamp on either side of the ridge on the right-angle fitting.

I hate them on these trans cooler lines also, they seem to work great on fuel lines, GM has used them for a long time, ive never seen one fail or leak. All the jeeps I've looked at with them for the trans fluid seem to leak really week, not sure if there are O rings that go bad or if the crimp on the end is the culprit or what. I do what you descibe plus use a Fuel Injection type hose clamp, which is a bit tighter fighting than normal ones and usually change out the section of hose if its all apart at both ends since its easy to get by the foot and not expensive.

Ok so I got the radiator installed. Thank You all for the suggestions and help.

Thank You for the suggestion on the A/C Fuel Line Removal Tool. It worked like a champ! 3/8 tool made the whole job super easy.

Thanks Again

Back