• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Swapping an auto engine to a std jeep??

I just picked up a 95 zj, with a manual:lickout:yes, a manual zj!!\
It is a 4liter/ax15 setup
Unfortuneately the engine is toast.
Will the engine from an auto fit??
I'm wondering about the pilot bearing...does the auto use the same crank?
Can I use a stock bearing or do I need an adaptor?
Any Naxja wisdom would be appreciated!

A manual in a 95 are you sure about that?

I just picked up a 95 zj, with a manual:lickout:yes, a manual zj!!\
It is a 4liter/ax15 setup
Unfortuneately the engine is toast.
Will the engine from an auto fit??
I'm wondering about the pilot bearing...does the auto use the same crank?
Can I use a stock bearing or do I need an adaptor?
Any Naxja wisdom would be appreciated!

Yes it will you'll just have to install a pilot bearing/bushing and the flywheel.

Yup I've driven one, oh and even a V-8 one at that, very rare.
ooops!!

Its a 94 actually!! And most certainley a 5spd.
That's pretty much the only reason I bought it...it is a little rustier than I would like and has a blown 4.0, but IT IS A MANUAL...ZJ...YAY...COOL!:flame::firedevil:rattle::music::pig:

note emoticons chosen by my four year old son and have no hidden relevance

Last edited:
:variety:party1:
Yes it will you'll just have to install a pilot bearing/bushing and the flywheel.

Ya das supa kool!!

Thanks for your advice. Are you 100% sure?
I wouldn't mind a second opinion to confirm this before I drop bucks on a parts donor!\
THX!!NAXJA

emoticon disclaimer:
all emoticons shown below were selected by my 4 y.o. so based on his liking the picture, without any consideration for the meaning of said emoticon. No apologies will be offered or given to anyone offended by them who thinks I am "flaming", calling them a "baby", clapping, thumbs upping or any other emotions signified by said emoticons, Your exclusive remedy for damages, to ego, computer, eyes or mood, caused by said emoticons is limited to being told to "suck it up nancy",
Consider yourself warned. Tounge firmly in cheek. peace out homie.:geek::badpc::yelclap::gonnablow:jester::sunshine::bunny::star:

Not sure if the ZJs and XJs use the same, but on TJs with manual transmissions there is a spacer ring (for lack of a better term) that goes into the crank, then the pilot bearing presses into that. Found this out when doing a manual to auto swap on a '98 TJ, and couldn't figure out why the converter wouldn't seat against the flexplate.

It was my understanding that 93 was the only year that ZJ's had a 5 spd.. but maybe yours was built in 93 and sent out as a 94? Manual requires a flywheel vs flex plate. So as said above is correct. I would repalce the clutch while you are at it, and the pilot bushing.

A Jeep 4.0 crank is a Jeep 4.0 crank.

There will be a pilot bushing/bearing, you may have to do a little measuring to get the right part but they exist, have common applications (like the CJs) so most part stores will have it in stock.

This has been covered before.

Back