• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4 Wheel Drive

Runge91

NAXJA Forum User
So I just bought a 91 jeep cherokee limited 4x4. When I looked at it i put into 4hi and 4low they worked great and they went back into 2wd. Then when I got it home I put it into 4wd and now I can't get it back into 2wd... Any sugestions?

In 4wd HighI assume. In High drive it in a straight line at 15-20 mph, let off the throttle and shift the t-case or even try shifting the trans into neutral. Do it while the vehicle is rolling in a straight line.

Hope you're not trying (or did) put it in 4-Hi while on pavement or a high traction surface. That will damage things and make it hard to get back to 2-Hi. I'd suggest finding gravel/snow or other similar surface, then shifting backc to 2-Hi. As previously suggested, loading/unloading the transfer case by accelerating/decelerating will help.

Good Luck...let us know how it turns out.

Hope you're not trying (or did) put it in 4-Hi while on pavement or a high traction surface. That will damage things and make it hard to get back to 2-Hi. I'd suggest finding gravel/snow or other similar surface, then shifting backc to 2-Hi. As previously suggested, loading/unloading the transfer case by accelerating/decelerating will help.

Good Luck...let us know how it turns out.

X2,you can also try backing up to try and unload the drivetrain.If its in 2LO you will need to try and shift out while still moving a couple MPH and shift the transmission into neutral,then shift the t-case!

Back