• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

???Lincoln Locked D30 Vac. Disco???

vortex

NAXJA Forum User
Would it be feasible to Lincoln Lock the spider gears in a vacuum disconnected Dana 30? I don't drive the Jeep everyday and IIRC when its disconnected each side would spin independently.

Input and experiences are appreciated.

-PJ-

I wouldn't do it, even if it's just a trail rig. The CAD axle is the weakest axle in the XJ to begin with, add to that a welded dif and you are asking for broken shafts. It might be ok for a DD, but what's the point of welding it then?

You can weld (Lincoln Lock) a disco D30 without affecting the street handling since the axle is "unlocked" at the disco. When you engage 4x4 (and hence, lock the axle disco) you will have a locked front that really affects steering...in a bad way.

I'd think it's never wise to weld a front end.

I have that axle in the front with an Aussie and 35s, ran plenty of tuff trails out here in Ca. Havent broke anything yet besides steering junk. But its always in the back of my mind! Carry spares

Would it be feasible to Lincoln Lock the spider gears in a vacuum disconnected Dana 30? I don't drive the Jeep everyday and IIRC when its disconnected each side would spin independently.

Input and experiences are appreciated.

-PJ-

What if he were to install a Posi-Lock cable for the disconect?

Would that allow him to steer properly with a lincoln locked disco D30?

I am the one who sujested this to him. I thought with a Posi-Lock he would be fine welding the spiders up.

Am I completly wrong???:dunno:

Matt

Posi loc or not it still steers the same and it all does the same thing it's just a different way to do it. I still would like to know if the disco side axle is bolted at the hub.

-PJ-

Posi loc or not it still steers the same and it all does the same thing it's just a different way to do it. I still would like to know if the disco side axle is bolted at the hub.

-PJ-

The outer stub shaft as well as the outer side of the inner shaft are held together by the u-joint and held to the unit bearing with a large nut. There is essentially five pieces to the long side shaft on a disco axle;
1: inner shaft splinned into differential, 2: sliding lock collar to lock both inner halves together, 3: outer half of inner shaft, 4: u-joint, 5: outer stub shaft attached to unit hub bearing. I hope this clears up how the disco axle goes together. I still see no reason why you can't weld up the front as long as you install a posi-lock or something similar. Look around on other 4x4 forums, I know I have seen a way to make your own posi-lock with cheap easy to find parts.

Good luck PJ

Matt:variety:

I welded up the front on a disconnect axle once and it almost fried my steering. Once it was locked and in 4wd it would not steer at all. The power steering pump would whine really loud. I would never do this again.

I wouldn't do it, even if it's just a trail rig. The CAD axle is the weakest axle in the XJ to begin with, add to that a welded dif and you are asking for broken shafts. It might be ok for a DD, but what's the point of welding it then?

When you say that it's the weakest axle in an xj, are you saying the shafts are the weakest designed? Or are you saying the axle housing is the weakest? I could have sworn that I read somewhere on here that the CAD axle housing is stronger than the non-disco axle. I think it said the reason was that the CAD axle has a stronger passenger side UCA mount, but don't quote me on that.

Yes, but not with a welded/locked front diff.

The OP is asking about welding a CAD D30, you are talking about welding a D30 with the NP242, the NP242 never came with a CAD D30. No need to worry about destroying a NP242 if you weld the dif on a CAD 30. Unless you swapped in one or the other, but that would be counter productive to a build if you are talking about welding the dif.

When you say that it's the weakest axle in an xj, are you saying the shafts are the weakest designed? Or are you saying the axle housing is the weakest? I could have sworn that I read somewhere on here that the CAD axle housing is stronger than the non-disco axle. I think it said the reason was that the CAD axle has a stronger passenger side UCA mount, but don't quote me on that.

Weakest shafts

Last edited:
Back