• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Poly bushings falling apart in my shackle?

jeeperguy21

NAXJA Forum User
I have a strange noise coming from the passenger rear of the jeep after making a right hand turn. It happens once I have straightened out and and start going down the road.

It's a clunking noise, like the leaf springs are "settling," if that makes any sense. At first I thought it was my rear Aussie locker acting up, like it was trying engage/disengage. Then I thought that maybe my rear passenger tire's lugnuts were loose causing the clunking noise after turning. Both of those checked out fine.

The leaf spring looked perfectly fine. Upon close inspection, I noticed that the upper bushing on my Rocky Road Outfitter shackles were separating. Me thinks that this could be contributing to the noise.

First of all, are these bushings replaceable?
Second of all, has anyone else had this happen, or does anyone have a suggestion as to what this could be caused by?

I guess nobody has any ideas. I am probably going to end up getting a different brand of shackle then unless someone pipes in with an idea. Thanks.

The poly works differently then a rubber bushing.
The inner sleeve on a poly busing rides on the poly bushing and slides like a bearing. That's why they squeek, and why you can get gun-drilled greasable shackle bolts for them.
In a factory style rubber bushing, the rubber is compressed between the inner and outer sleeves, and the rubber actually twists with the inner sleeve.

It's a tossup which will last longer. All the poly bushings I have experience with wore out pretty fast, but flex a rubber bushing hard and you can rip a brand new one first time out.

Edit: I like rubber better myself, and don't use poly. 'Just my opinion/choice.

Last edited:
Yes, the poly can fail, yes it is replaceable. If you off road replace with rubber bushings.

Can you buy rubber bushings, or do you have to get complete shackles with the rubber bushings already in them?

It seems like all the aftermarket shackles that I have looked at all have poly bushings.

Right after I posted here, I went to another thread here where they were bitching about RE poly bushings and wanting to replace with rubber(R.E. springs use a smaller spring eye then the stock XJ springs. 'Makes swapping bushings a bitch) I got curious and looked around and found this:
http://www.jeepdoc.com/catalog/prodprnt.asp?id=197
The reason you care is at the bottom of the list, last 3 bushings: You'll have to measure your shackle hole, but my guess is, you will need either #944870 (1.25" ID) or #5352079 (1.5" ID). Since you're running poly, I'm betting you've got the 1.25" bushings. (THIS IS A GUESS, measure your shackle.) Also if you do have the 1.25" hole, you could use the #52002552 which is also rubber, but a 2-piece design like the poly bushings, and not a press fit.

You can add grease zerks if they didnt come with them(most better brands have them).If you do,make sure and trim the bushings so the grease can get to the center pin.

There is a company that makes a johnny joint style heim joint designed to replace spring eye bushings. It has been posted up on here before but I don't have a link.

The OP was talking about the upper shackle bushings,but in reference to the above post (Orbit-eye).

My forward mount poly bushings on my Alcan leafs are worn after 1.5 years of use and make that clunk on right hand turns after straightening out and settling, just as you describe. -B

My forward mount poly bushings on my Alcan leafs are worn after 1.5 years of use and make that clunk on right hand turns after straightening out and settling, just as you describe. -B

Interesting... I also have Big Offroad leaf springs made by... Alcan... that sure seems fishy. I may have to look into that. Thanks!

Back