• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

warn or arb bumpers

seth15210

NAXJA Forum User
so im looking for input on which would work better for me... i have a 95 xj and im getting ready to get a front bumper outa my tax return. im mainly looking at the arb and the warn with grill guard. i want a winch bumper but would prefer one that has the winch recessed into it. who has them and would have have any good feedback or be able to recommend something similar for around the same price. looks are very important to me since im also building a show worthy xj. also can you get them unfinished so i could get it coated in my body color?

in my opinion, they are both pretty pricey for what you get. and if you're building a show rig, they seem too typical for me. i bought a jcr non-winch bumper and added on to it to suit my needs. some like it and some don't but it works very well for me and thats what counts. plus, there is only one like it. in my opinion, getting crafty (even if you have to hire someone for welding) would yield a much better bumper and custom is good for shows. plus, i designed it and had a professional weld it- i still have less money into it than an arb... not saying they aren't cool and functional, i just think there are better options:gee:
767i.jpg

782lp.jpg

775a.jpg

774j.jpg
774.jpg

Last edited:
I've had both,currently I'm running the warn w/o grill guard bars,Great bumper(picture in profile album),The winch mounting area is shallow but for low profile winches it's great(9.5xp,8000k,9000k).

The ARB was great but the winch mounting was more recessed and collected a lot of crap(mud,leaves etc) and that was annoying! I noticed some rust on mine within 6 months,and I'm told it's rare it did happen. If I had to choose again it would be the warn bumper. oh,I've never seen them available unfinished. HTH?

i thought about buying a cheaper one and having someone modify it. i want one that gonna fill the front end in and follow the lines which the average rock bumper doesent and just looks tiny. a used one would be sweet but havent found one yet. ive seen a few bumpers come in raw steel but not many. i contacted arb usa and asked them if i could order a raw one, im waiting on there response.

like i said, some like it some don't but it works for me. after ripping out the entire passenger side headlight assembly when i slid over a wet rock ledge into a log the guy in front of me kicked up, i decided to make sure it would never happen again. there are no offroad parks up here and there aren't many rock gardens. i spend most of my time wheeling in the deep woods, where trails aren't maintained. to each their own, thats what makes my jeep mine and your jeep yoursparty1:

ya i was just looking at the tjm bumpers through rustys, there a good candidate for modification. if i can find them cheaper that would work even better

I'm running the JCR Prerunner winch bumper. I like it overall, but want to add an integrated mount for the fairlead.

IMG_2255.jpg

ya i really like theyre rear tire carrier setup, ill probally order it and maybe do the tjm one from rustys and find someone to modify it. i want tubing to wrap around the sides behind the marker lights to protect the corners. not just protect the grill. nobody offers something like that.

I love my ARB on my last Jeep but I am going another way and Locking mine with high clearance bumpers this time around. It was a good bumper and looked like it robbed a lot of clearance but wasn't all that bad. They are also extremely well built. Mine took a 50mph impact with a benz and held up great. I may try to put it on my beater but not sure yet.

I have an ARB bought it for $300 used. Just put it on two weeks ago. I like the fact that it mounts to the side of the unibody and the bottom. I did reanforce the mounting locations with a custom front cross member. The reason why I bought the ARB and did not build my own is because it has been crashed tested and is DOT approved.

P1015628.jpg

I like my personalized M.O.R.E.

i would only go with a warn or arb if you could get them at a really good deal... i run a Protofab4x4, winch bumper and i think it is one of the best looking/functioning ones out there, you should definatly look around for other options http://protofab4x4.com/products.php?ID=05. aj's offroad armor & jcr offroad also make great products for less money than the other two, and i know that the warn does not have as great of mount points than the ARB and most other winch bumpers

As an alternative, I have the Trail Ready XJ bumper, the top one here:

http://trailready.com/bumpers/jeep_cherokee.html

I've gotten a ton of benefit out of the way the corner bars actually wrap around the headlight/marker light area. Kissed many a tree with that bar on tight trails, never cracked or broken a marker light or wrinkled the sheet metal.

EDIT: Just checked the "pricing" portion of TR's website. That friggin' bumper is $999.00. Makes me thankful that I bought mine used for much less. Still, it's a very good bumper and has served me well.

Last edited:
Logans is in Penn Hills and they have a few good ones, i just got the prerunner front. and rear with a towing hitch. got em both under a grand. And you get to save on shipping. I do wish i had more to offer about the durability but i havent got it in yet. ill let you know soon soon as i do.

Back