• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Hand Throttles

cjsxj87

NAXJA Forum User
Anyone use a hand throttle for wheeling there manual trans? Any tips? Suggestions? What one and where to buy? Do they help out a lot?

you might want to look into the handicap equiptment. they have 1 lever that actuates both the throttle and brake. pull down for throttle, push forward for brake. ive used one and thought it made light throttling easier.

I actually saw a write-up on this a while back some where. Just google it and you should see a bunch of info. I remember a lot of people using a bicycle gear shift lever and cable as a throttle setup. Seemed really slick mounted to the gear shifter. It was just a matter of routing the cable to the motor and getting the right amount of throttle movement.

yea I bought the one from RE. and its actually just a bicycle shifter that they bought and repackaged with a few other nuts and bolts, then resold to us.

I like it. its hard to get used to using you hand to throttle though. but after some practice you get the hang of both your feet and hands to do 4 different things at once.

and the teraflex one is the exact same as the RE one. they probably get them from the same place.

Last edited:
I use one on my YJ, but don't have one on the XJ. A bicycle brake cable and brake handle connected to the linkage under the gas pedal and connected to the shifter is how I have mine set up. It does take a little to get use to, but allows you to use your feet more on the clutch and brake when you are offroad/rocks.

A buddy has one, he does not use it so much as a throttle as I would call it a high idle setup. He pushes it up on hills so his min rpm is like 1500, keeps him from stalling out in oh shit moments.

I work at a bike shop and had a customer looking for a shifter for a throttle. basically that is what the tera flex one is. The key is you need a friction shifter, not index.

i used a bike shifter identical to the tereflex one. bought a pair for $8 and got a tandem bike cable and ran it to the cruise control clip. works great. i don't use it to drive with so much as i do keeping rpm's up for winching etc. it's well worth the effort and money though, just makes your rig that much more versatile.

I use one on my YJ, but don't have one on the XJ. A bicycle brake cable and brake handle connected to the linkage under the gas pedal and connected to the shifter is how I have mine set up. It does take a little to get use to, but allows you to use your feet more on the clutch and brake when you are offroad/rocks.

so you have an actual break handle? so when you let it go it releases?

I think that sounds kinda cool. I feel like it would give you smother operation. but like the other guys said its nice to use it as a high idle switch. I do that also.

so you have an actual break handle? so when you let it go it releases?

I think that sounds kinda cool. I feel like it would give you smother operation. but like the other guys said its nice to use it as a high idle switch. I do that also.

Yeah, the more you squeeze the higher the rpm's, when you let off it goes back to normal idle.

i use one on my cj buggy and it is just a gear shifter for a bike and is the kind that has a knob on the side so you can set the rpms when ur winching. you can buy what ever length cable u need at a bike shop, i ran mine up to the carb linkage so that i didnt have to run heavier springs as long as your cable is not making a real sharp turn it wont bind. they make crawlin a stick alot nicer

I have one on order.
I run TruTrac's and with the amount of brake/clutch needed to make them work the thumb throttle is something I am anxious to have.
Friend has one in his TJ and swears by it.

Back