• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Vibration at speed, ujoint/balljoint /whatnotjoint

HeavyMetal

NAXJA Forum User
So, when i get to 50 i get vibes, 60-68 it evens out, then anything over 70 it really opens up shop as i go faster. I know for a fact my driverside axle ujoint is shot...but my passenger side balljoint seems to have a lot of play in it when turning the wheels as i watch it (itll pivot in place, the castle nut seems to have worked its way up and i cant see how i would tighten it, an impact wouldnt do the job when i tried, it just spins), i assume this means it is shot? which of these 2 things (u joint or balljoint)is causing my vibration? or is it likely its a combo of both? or is 1 more of an effect than the other? thanks guys could really use some help :)

Do you have a lift? do you have a SYE? ive seen you post dozens of times before so i guess these questions seem assinine huh?

id say balljoint first if it isnt the driveline...

im at 4.5" and i have an SYE and all that nonsense. i posted in OEM cuz i figured it wasnt lift related. i havnt had any issues with my driveline and the lift, it has driven fine until recently so i figure these are my culprits but im not entirely knowledgable on this section of my jeep yet, so yeah lol, balljoint u say then would be the vibes? not the ujoint? was hopin to hear the opposite haha

Honestly, your culprit will be both. A ball joint going bad will contribute to lateral and some horizonal movment. Any deflection (bump) in the road will make use of the extra movement in the ball joint and cause a vibration. The same holds true with your u-joint as the axle spins the joint will actually "fall" into the ends of the u-joint cap causing a vibration. Replacement of both of these is critical! A failue of either one in the right condition could lead to worse damage or an accident.

:firedevil

right then. i am on this asap. i have heard a lot of bad press about balljoint replacement, ive never had to tackle it before. any writeups/tips? the ujoint im doing tomorrow though. should be easy

How bout the front DS how much is it extended? could possibly have to much play causing it to get out of round at high speeds (vibration)

also did you check the DS ujoints at the same time?

also could be that your tires are out of balance, if all fails, have a local shop check the balance of all your tires

Last edited:
just for the sake of people who search and see this

i solved the vibration entirely, it was my front driveshaft, removed it and the jeep rides smooth as silk

Back