• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cool Engine oil with Radiator?

Billfaceeee

NAXJA Forum User
I recently bought a new Radiator and it came with an Oil heat exchanger, my question is has anyone used this for their Engine oil? I've found the correct sandwich plate for the oil filter and it's all very doable. So has anyone done this, would it be worth my time, could I use high PSI rubber line's?

Thanks! Corey

Has anyone done this? I don't know. Would it be worth your while? I doubt it. Besides, you'll end up increasing the thermal load on your radiator that way.

You've already got the sandwich adapter, I think you'd be better off using an auxiliary, external cooler. Leave the plugs in the "internal" cooler - your radiator will be a bit more efficient without the thermal load of the thing anyhow (I'm going to assume you have a manual transmission, rather than an auto.)

Use hose rated for a minimum of 80psig. Engine oil and power steering fluid are just a bit different - power steering hose may not be the best for that application...

5-90

Can I use any oil cooler even one that says Transmission fluid? My concern would be the bursting capacity I suppose since Engine oil would be at a higher PSI then a transmission.

As long as it can handle the pressure. I'm not sure what most transmission coolers are rated for, pressure-wise, since all that the external transmission hydraulics have to deal with is residual pressure. It's already done its work.

I'd imagine that pressure would not be a problem for a transmission heat exchanger - but I'd want to be sure anyway. The fluid will not pose a problem, so no worries about that.

5-90

5-90 said:
Leave the plugs in the "internal" cooler

Just got CSF from DPG. There are no plugs on the internal cooler, where do I get them ?

Thank you,
Andrey

um i believe the factory rad's have built in tranny coolers, the 'oil heat exchanger' you seeing is most likely the trans cooler

Slonopotam said:
Just got CSF from DPG. There are no plugs on the internal cooler, where do I get them ?

Thank you,
Andrey
It's not really necessary to plug the ports in the radiator if you don't want to. It would help to keep dust out in case you want to use it later.

Slonopotam said:

Thank you,
Andrey

I've got a stick, so mine isn't used. I didn't bother plugging them.

jeeperjohn said:
It's not really necessary to plug the ports in the radiator if you don't want to. It would help to keep dust out in case you want to use it later.

It is water/snow solvent from the road I am worried about. The radiator is not painted from the inside.

You can find caps somewhere. My buddy just bought a junkyard motor and all of the vacuum ports and crankcase vents had red caps. Since this motor was in a vehicle before, obviously these caps were bought somewhere.

So...

Or just use ducttape :)

I have the plugs you want for it sitting in my center console. My new radiator came with them, and I use the cooler.

PM me your address and i'll drop them in the mail.

-Cal

Back