• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

98XJ - Interior Lights won't turn off

98XJDMB

NAXJA Forum User
So today i took out the dome light in the back of the xj, and wired in three of these LED light bars (3 of them) for more brightness. Well now the interior lights stay on and won't turn off. I don't know what did it, but does anyone know which fuse to pull so my lights turn off, also any ideas as to whats going on? THANKS

here is a fuse list from my manual
fuse.jpg

any ideas why this is happening, or what i can do to fix it.

Wrong page. Check 186. #17 in the PDC (the fuse/relay box under the hood), Ign off draw, Interior lights. (I think. I know it's not in the interior fusebox in my 97)

There's a switch in the hatch that operates the cargo/dome lamps, in addition to the switch on the lamp itself- if you removed the cargo lamp completely, you need to do something about that switch.

Not trying to be a smart ass, but did you check the switch on the dash to make sure they are supposed to be off?

Yah before I went too far I'd make sure the headlamp dimmer is rotated off the dome lamp setting. Next thing I do is roll down the driver window, turn the key on, close the door and go around each door opening/manually depressing each door ajar/dome light by hand and see if one of them is out of adjustment (seatbelt got caught and wedged in over adjusting the switch).
Next I would switch back the lamp and see if that fixes it or if you pinched a wire (short switched ground side to ground).

Back