• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Engine check light

kdub41

NAXJA Forum User
ok so my engine check light was on, and it says that its due to an evap issue. Well to add to this once this light came on i used 1/4 tank of gas only going 40 miles :( would any of you know what this could be? and the jeep is a 2000 cherokee sport with 143000 on it

As mentioned, post the exact code here for the most accurate responses. There are a number of possibilities from a bad gas cap or a simple vacuum leak to something more serious. The devil is in the details.

Also try googling for the code number on the web for more information on that particular trouble code.

Yep - need the actual code, and any potentially relevant symptoms.

A listing of codes (and their meanings) can be found in the Tech section of my site - link in sig. It never hurts to give with year and powertrain information either, since it did change a few times in eighteen years...

Model Year? Check
Engine?
Transmission?
Tcase? (Not really necessary, but we can always ignore it if we need to)
Front/rear Axles (see Tcase entry)

Pull the gas cap off and look at it. If there is any sign of rust in the little valve on the gas cap replace it then reset the code with a battery disconnect and see if the code comes back.

If it's for evaporative emissions I'd get under the Jeep and look at the hoses going to the carbon cannister (black plastic rectangular box). The EVAP canister is located under left side of vehicle near front of rear axle. Make sure the hoses are connected and in good shape (not cracked/split).

You can also follow the smaller hose off the top of the fuel tank and make sure there are no cut/split/disconnected hoses.

Back