• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Leaf bolts

242_cherokee

NAXJA Forum User
Putting a three inch lift in my jeep. The leaf springs are broke so we are replacing them. Main bolts are very hard to move. The springs are completely detached from the axle so there is not very much pressure on the springs. Any tips for looseening up those bolts? Thanks guys

hammer, torch, thermonuclear device, pb blaster, slide hammer, sawzall...

you get the picture!

good luck! this is the only thing, other than my upper shock bolts, that I am dreading. haha.

Yeah, I second the PB blaster idea.

I generally start spraying all my bolts about a week before I plan on doing the lift just there's been plenty of time for it to work it's way all the way through.

Leaf spring bolt problems usually fall under two categories, weld nuts broken loose from the frame or spring eye bolts seized to the bushing sleeve.

Use a 4" angle grinder and a cutting blade. You have two options: (1) if you want to save the bolt, slice the spring eye open and remove it from the bushing. Cut the bushing from the sleeve and then remove the sleeve from the bolt. Option (2) is to cut the bolt off on either side of the spring bushing. Slip the blade between the spring and the pocket and make some sparks.

I would rather replace the bolts than keep cranking on them and have the weld nut break loose from the frame rail.

Get a MAPP gas torch or MAPP/OXY setup from Home Depot/Lowe's or whatever you have near you.

Has saved me everytime. The only time I've ever broken a bolt is because I was too lazy to get up and grab the thing off the workbench and was testing my luck.

Breaker bar, penetrant of your choice (as long as it's not WD-40), and blood, sweat, and tears then. That's how we got mine loose, and it barely took an hour per bolt. Good luck.

I have found to break up the rust is to loosen the bolt, then thighten the bolt. Basically keep going back and forth, that trick worked wonders on my 3rd xj, the first one I don't even want to go there (almost 3 days worth of work so leafs can bolt on)

If you are replacing the springs, simply cut the old ones off. It will take maybe 5 minutes per side. Once the springs and bushings are removed, either the bolt will spin out freely or you can apply your penetrating oil and/or heat directly to the weld nuts inside the frame. Why bust you knuckles or risk breaking the weld nut loose ?

Got them out. The metal sleve was siezed to the bolts. a bit of heat a cut off wheel and a cold chisel to get them off and we were good. the sleve was basically acting like a nut and would not let the bold come out. and why not WD-40?

Last edited:
Back