• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Brakes are hard as hell! car barely stops

boostamante

NAXJA Forum User
Its a 96 2WD cherokee and the mothereffer is hard to stop. the brake pedal feels real stiff. Could this be a bad booster?

thanks!

Bad booster, or no vacuum to it.

Engine off. Pump the pedal 4 times and hold it down. Start the engine. If the pedal drops an inch or so under your foot, it is working.

If it doesn't drop, there is something wrong with the booster/vacuum.

In all braking situations? Meaning whether or not your easy (normal/light) on the brakes or hard (panic). You know you could always swing by my place it you want someone to look at it. Just no repeats like at the holiday party man, LOL.

Mike R

Well, me and my dad bled the brakes and the pedal stays firm after we start the Jeep. i also hear some air coming from the booster. o'reailly has got one for 79.99
I think ill buy it from them.

Engine off. Pump the pedal 4 times and hold it down. Start the engine. If the pedal drops an inch or so under your foot, it is working.

If it doesn't drop, there is something wrong with the booster/vacuum.

This thread came up in a search I did. I'm getting a stiff brake pedal and a hard to turn steering wheel (loss of power steering) at low RPM's especially after it's been driving for a while. I'm thinking vacuum leak. I just tried your idea Joe and the brake pedal definitely went down a little after starting my Jeep. What should I check next?

Back