• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

passenger window won't work

So my passenger side window hasn't worked since I got my Jeep. It will work on the driver's side control for it, but not at all on the passenger side. I've taken it to the dealer before and they've checked it and said it didn't need a new regulator, but my boyfriend mentioned recently that it sounds like it needs a new switch.

I've managed to find a passenger side window and lock switch set on ebay, is this what I should be looking for?

Oh and has anyone else experienced this problem at all? I know my dad's ZJ has had window issues before. Didn't know if this was a "Jeep thing" or not.

Thanks in advance!

Sounds like a switch problem either master or passenger, fairly common. Looks like 99-01 are the same, not sure if the 97-98 will work, probably but may not have the lights on the switches.

I've had to replace them on a friends 99 also for the same reason.

Last edited:
Bypassing the window lockout I see at the master switch. I guess it works if you don't care about the lockout feature and you don't have some other problem.

What's the lockout feature? I've locked my keys in the car (in the ignition even!) and it didn't prevent me from getting locked out!

So the passengers (kids) can't use the other switches to roll down the windows. It's the round/oval button at top on the master switch. I think when it's out it's off and when it's in it's on.

So the passengers (kids) can't use the other switches to roll down the windows. It's the round/oval button at top on the master switch.

Oh right the child lock. I got you now. Could that be causing the problem do you think?

Oh right the child lock. I got you now. Could that be causing the problem do you think?

As was the case in the link above it was his problem. The master switch turns the power off to the other switches so if the contacts are bad it won't give power to the other switches. It will affect all three other switches if that's the case and not just one.

I've locked my keys in the car (in the ignition even!) and it didn't prevent me from getting locked out!

As long as the key is in the ignition with the buzzer/chime going off the power door lock switch should not let you lock the doors. However if you manually lock it or pull the key out just a little you can lock it with the switch.

From the manual.

The power lock system includes a lock inhibit feature, which prevents the doors from being locked by the power lock system if the driver door is open with the key in the ignition switch or with the headlamp switch in the On position. However, the lock inhibit feature will not prevent manual locking of the vehicle using the manual lock buttons or the key cylinders.

I just finished properly repairing the broken splice in the wiring harness between the door & body that involved my driver's door speaker not working, and I'm having the same problems with ALL my passenger windows not operating from their respective door controls, but working fine from the driver's door module. I followed a link mentioned earlier in this thread, and found this writeup that discusses solving the problem in the switch properly and without bypassing the proper operation of the lockout switch: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/power-window-switch-repair-writeup-444977/
I'll have my own detailed pics of the switch, module, and how I repaired it posted up hopefully by this evening, as I didn't yet fix the solder on the terminals of the lockout switch. Coincidentally, I picked up a spare switch module from the junkyard, and it has the same problem with the lockout switch, so, instead of taking it back, I'm going to clean it up, fix it (if fixing my original works properly), and make it available for any NAXJA people who are interested.

Do you have a 2 door or 4 door?

If you have a 4 door: Do the rear power windows work and just the passenger side front doesn't work? Or do all of the window switches not work?
->If the rear power window switches work OK, then it is probably the passenger door window switch.
->If none of the window switches (except the drivers door) work, then you probably have a bad lockout switch. That happened to my friends '92 and from what I hear it's a fairly common problem.

If you have a 2 door then you don't have the luxury of checking to see if the back window switches work. You have a couple options: You could just guess and replace both the driver and passenger side door switches, or you could pull out the ohm meter and test the passenger side window switch to see if it is working or not.

Granted it could also be a loose/broken wire somewhere and both your switches could be fine.

Well after checking all the other 3 windows, I've determined it must be a bad child lock switch or something, b/c it works fine on all 3 from the master controls on my door...

If I replaced the master driver's side door controls, would that fix the problem? Or is there more to it than that?

Well after checking all the other 3 windows, I've determined it must be a bad child lock switch or something, b/c it works fine on all 3 from the master controls on my door...

If I replaced the master driver's side door controls, would that fix the problem? Or is there more to it than that?

Assuming it's not an open wire then replacing the switch will fix it. I've had to replace a friends Master and RF switches.

I've bypassed the window lockout switch on an '00 and '01. Start by removing the ds kick panel. There's a connector w/ a tan wire(12Vin), a yellow wire(12Vout when switch works), and a black wire(ground). Cut the yellow wire and connect it to the tan wire via tap, solder, etc.

I just finished properly repairing the broken splice in the wiring harness between the door & body that involved my driver's door speaker not working, and I'm having the same problems with ALL my passenger windows not operating from their respective door controls, but working fine from the driver's door module. I followed a link mentioned earlier in this thread, and found this writeup that discusses solving the problem in the switch properly and without bypassing the proper operation of the lockout switch: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/power-window-switch-repair-writeup-444977/
I'll have my own detailed pics of the switch, module, and how I repaired it posted up hopefully by this evening, as I didn't yet fix the solder on the terminals of the lockout switch. Coincidentally, I picked up a spare switch module from the junkyard, and it has the same problem with the lockout switch, so, instead of taking it back, I'm going to clean it up, fix it (if fixing my original works properly), and make it available for any NAXJA people who are interested.

Okay, I finally got my pics posted of how to repair the switch properly. The write-up has been done before (see previous link), but I have some more detailed pics that might help you repair yours & do it properly rather than jumpering the wires & defeating the function of the passenger window lockout switch. I also have my spare switch for sale, if anyone is interested. It's been repaired & tested on my own 2000 Jeep, so it's good to go.

I had the exact same problem on my 98. I recently just put a 01 interior in my XJ, door panels and all. Used all the switches from the 2001, and it magically worked. I hear that it's almost always the master (driver's side switch).

So any year from 97+ will work, cost me $5 at the local junkyard, 4 screws (I think) hold it into the door... real easy fix if you willing to go searching for the switch panel.

Back