• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

97 XJ, What is this wire for?

shelbyluvv

NAXJA Forum User
A little back history.

I have been building a 97 Comanche (see sig below) for the last year or so. I am in a real rush now just to get it running to load on a truck in a few months to be shipped across country.

I got almost all the wiring done now. I found this lone plug under the dash on the drivers side. What does it go to? The Jeep the harness came out of was a 97 XJ, 4.0, AW4, 4X4 with all the options. PW, PL, OHC, ABS, and a 242 transfer.

Here is a pic of the plug,

100_2927.jpg

One last question, How many ground straps are in the engine bay and where do they go?

I do not have that connector on mine (of if I do, it's wrapped inside that bundle). Low optioned Sport.

Mine has two grounds- battery-fender, and head-firewall. If there are any others, they are missing on mine.

Ground straps - everywhere. Just throw em on till it works :patriot:

Seriously though, on the 98 I just pulled an engine out of, there was one at the back of the head (same as every other XJ), a few ground leads from the harness going to the block on the passenger side, and probably one by the alternator, though I'm not sure as that had already been pulled when I got there.

That's the connector for the ABS control module. It is C109, has 7 pins populated. Four go to the rear wheel sensors, the other three go to the deceleration sensor (G switch.)

I do not have that connector on mine (of if I do, it's wrapped inside that bundle). Low optioned Sport.

Mine has two grounds- battery-fender, and head-firewall. If there are any others, they are missing on mine.

Your main battery ground should be to the block.

On the Renix the main grounds are battery to block; ICM/ECU/o2 sensor to dipstick tube; engine head to firewall.

Grounds:
-Battery to block underneath the coil.
-Battery to inner fender.
-Back of the block to firewall.

Pos:
-Battery to distribution center
-Battery to starter.

Thank you for the input. I got it to crank over. A few more parts and it should be running.

Back