• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ford hp dana 44 swap

xjhavens

NAXJA Forum User
Sorry if this has been covered. I didn't do a complete search, it kind of a pina to do on my black berry.have the chance to pick up a hp dana 44 front housing from a 79 full size blazer.I offered 50 bucks. Its just the housing, the tubes and inner knuckles.I'm going to narrow it to waggy width so I can void custome axle shafts.just wondering if this would be a good buy or should I stick with looking for a complete waggy front axle and going from there.I know with enough money you can do anything. I having a hard time wanting to put 800 buck into the dana 35 I have now. Thanks for any advice.

79 Fullsize Blazer would be a passenger drop 10 bolt front. If it is a 79 Bronco housing it would be HP driver drop with cast wedges. Not that desirable with the cast wedges if you are going to narrow it.

Sorry guys, It is a bronco front end.I'm still highest bidder @ $50.01. But there is still 5 days left on the auction. If I can't retract my bid and end up with it I will look into pressing in new tubes.can anyone recomend a good place to order tubes from or would any steel supplier have the material to make them?

Walk away,50$ is a cheap lesson!

Sorry guys, It is a bronco front end.I'm still highest bidder @ $50.01. But there is still 5 days left on the auction. If I can't retract my bid and end up with it I will look into pressing in new tubes.can anyone recomend a good place to order tubes from or would any steel supplier have the material to make them?

3 1/8" DOM tube, pick your wall thickness, most steel suppliers should be able to get it.

But I have to agree with RCP Phx, and say walk away from it.

so since the topic has been brought up i gotta question also. with a waggy front end you get LP and very close width, with a bronco you get HP that should probably be narrowed.

is it worth narrowing a ford HP? or just deal with the waggy LP angles?

Sub question: why not full width? if low center of gravity and controlled articulation is the name of the game then why not just go full width?

Sorry just hijacked your thread, however we all might just learn something. well...maybe.

so since the topic has been brought up i gotta question also. with a waggy front end you get LP and very close width, with a bronco you get HP that should probably be narrowed.

is it worth narrowing a ford HP? or just deal with the waggy LP angles?

Sub question: why not full width? if low center of gravity and controlled articulation is the name of the game then why not just go full width?

Sorry just hijacked your thread, however we all might just learn something. well...maybe.
If youre going to do all the effort in swapping in a 44, you may as well get the pinion angle and caster angles right. And since your going to be rotating the Cs for that, why not start with a hp housing and do two extra cuts?

As far as width, two reasons. Tons of width isnt always that good. Fitting into tight spaces and not having a 88'' track width is nice. I also narrowed mine to match my rear XJ 44 since it was already geared and locked.

eBay allows bid retraction, do a search in the same box you search for everything else and it will take you to the specific form you have to fill out. You'll need the auction number but other than that it's easy, I've done it quite a few times.

Starboard. i was thinking the same thing. I was going for the hp. just bid on the wrong one. im a total noob to this subject so thank for eveyones help. I just started researching this but i think I catch on pretty quick.

Going full width is out of the question for me also. I alredy have a cherokee 44 in the rear. And im from a small town, the cops dont have much to do, so i cant have my tires sticking out past the flare.
Im going to look into retracting my bid here pretty quick..we'll se how it goes.

Back