• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

drive shafts....

muddy xj

NAXJA Forum User
ok well heres the deal...im not exactly sure if the front xj shaft will work as the rear it the axle is a dana 35. i know its been discussed before but i havent found an exact answer yet. i really need to know cause im lookin into a lil more lift and im gonna have to go with an sye. thanks

Check if a V8 ZJ front shaft will work for you. Can't guarantee anything, but it's longer than an XJ auto front shaft by an inch or two. Look in the Jeep section of the Dana catalog you'll find by googling for "J321-CV" for more options - or in the other sections, just make sure that the U-joint series is correct if you're looking at other makes.

I just ran into this with my manual/231 sye'd XJ. Had to have a front shaft lengthened, the v8 shaft was too short. Cost me $150, but it was balanced and the shop installed all new u joints and grease fittings.

The ZJ front shaft from a '93-'95 ZJ V8 should work. Should be around 32.87" compressed length. hghgrad what year ZJ did you pull your front shaft from? Also a manual will need a longer DS regardless. I'm running into this issue right now at 6.75" of lift and am still running a stock 30" XJ front shaft, but should soon be switching to a '93-95 ZJ front. That or a Dakota front shaft which is at 31".

Back