• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Gear Question

Guess i was a little vague haha I mean how can you tell when a rear end gear set is worn to the point where it needs to be set back up or tossed and a new set installed?

tracking grease. put a little on a few of the gears and see were its tracking. best to try and put a little load on it while you turn the gears. maybe have a friend hold the drum, while you spinf the pinion.

It almost never happens, unless the diff is run with very low oil. Either way, the bearings will wear out before the gears will. Noise from the rear end is virtually always bad bearings. A slightly noisy ring and pinion from a poor set up or poor quality gears could still run that way for 100,000+ miles.

thanks for clearing that up goatman, The 8.8 I got from the junkyard was howling when I installed it, bearings look pitted, gears have a shine to them like they have a little wear, junk yard is going to give me new timkens and press them on the carrier and pinion for me tommorow hopefuly noise is gone once its back together

well that makes a world of differance. shine on the gears is normal. pitting? well thats whats going to make noise. sounds like you have figured out your problem. how you got the junk yard to foot the bill for new bearings is a much bigger story though. REALLY? well if you planned a gear ratio change, then now is the time because they will have to re-set the ring and pinion when installing new bearings anyhow. and goatman is correct. ring and pinion clearance hardly never changes much in normal use. but thats not to say they were setincorrectly by someone in the first place. its allways a good idea to check the tracking anyhow.

well that makes a world of differance. shine on the gears is normal. pitting? well thats whats going to make noise. sounds like you have figured out your problem. how you got the junk yard to foot the bill for new bearings is a much bigger story though. REALLY? well if you planned a gear ratio change, then now is the time because they will have to re-set the ring and pinion when installing new bearings anyhow. and goatman is correct. ring and pinion clearance hardly never changes much in normal use. but thats not to say they were setincorrectly by someone in the first place. its allways a good idea to check the tracking anyhow.

Theres no pitting on the gears so i should be ok, Everyone I've spoken to said if I change the bearings I should not have to shim it, however I know I need to double check that. The junkyard is a local yard that is very cool with stuff like that, normally they wouldve gave me another rear however I've already set it up in my cherokee so they're working with me which is really cool of them. Thanks again for the help guys!

Back