• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AW4 Bad

Mezzer8

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 91 Cherokee Laredo 4x4.

So my transmission makes "A LOT" of noise when in any forward gear. But it doesnt move at all. The fluid is fine. Nice an red. I've pulled the trans pan off and everything "appears" to be fine.

Recently i've noticed when my truck is in park i can still move it. I never noticed before because im so used to applying the e-brake when the vehicle is parked in my driveway because it's sloped. But i put down the e-brake today and my truck rolled right down into the court and it was a B*TCH pushing it back into the driveway.

Im guessing my tranny's bad. Maybe the park mechnism broke off in the tranny or somethin. What do you guys think? Any insight would be helpful.

Engine still starts up. Jeep just wont move.
Video:
http://tinypic.com/player.php?v=a0x95i&s=4

i really dont know jack bout trannys but im thinking it could be your chain in the transfar case as you can hear the tranny lock when you put it in park, which would indicate the trannys spinning. chock the wheels and see if you can hear it coming from the transfer case, or pull the cover and inspect it.

My transfer case was shot. Big hole in the side of it. Stretched chain. Horrible bearings. But i've got a good t-case on there now and it's still doing the same.

flexplate maybe

edit: wait, i thought about that for a second, it wouldnt explain why the jeep can move in park.

busted output shaft or something?

Last edited:
have you tried shifting the transfer case into and out of 4x4? the video sounds like the trans is definatly turning while in gear. hence the need to EASE it into park with grinding. a broken output shaft would cause this aswell. see if the front drive shaft will move the vehicle. does the (hellasious) noise definatly sound like its coming from the tranmission/transfer case? or can it possibly be the rear dif? a broken ring and pinion can also sound like that. have someone look underneath as you are in gear to see if the rear driveshaft is spinning.

I've never heard of that being a common problem, and it doesn't explain the jeep still moving in park.

IF we apply the KISS principle, then could the shifter need adjusting? That could explain it still moving in Park as the parking pawl may not be engaging, and not moving when in gear because it isn't actually IN gear.

Back