• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

last question before i proceed

1990cherokeee

NAXJA Forum User
So monday afternoon i am going to buy my new axle, i am swaping the 8.25 29 sp into my 90 limited xj. I am just wondering how i can go about finding out if i have ABS and what do i need to do to the swap since the 8.25 do not come with the ABS feature. I have read that all i need to do is pull out the fuse is that the case? But i first would like to know if i actually have it. Thanks.

If there's a wiring harness going to each wheel, you have ABS.

Pop the hood and look on the PDC and if the fuses and relays are there for ABS then you have the system.

okay, so i have ABS. Now what do i need to do in order to put the 8.25 under my rig which is not set up for ABS? i have read i just pull the fuse out and it will work, is this true?

So i talked to a person who works on jeeps for a living, he said if i where to pull the fuse out for the ABS that i am going to loose stopping power in turn will be worse than NON Abs, what he sugested i do is just no hook up the wheel sensors and i will still have that power of breaking just wont be abs, pretty much just dis connect the wiring harrnesss from the back wheels and tuck it away and not touch the fuses, it will then leave the ABS light on but all i gotta do is remove the bulb. WHat do you guys think about this way of doing that????

cant imagine how pulling a fuse will do anything other than disable the abs motor. brakeing should be the same just without the pulsating during a lockup situation. "Power " brakes dont have anything to do with electricial power, i call bs on the guy that told you that

I agree with kenn if you pull the two fuses and two relays in the PDC and the fuse in the inside fuse block then it completely eliminates the ABS. The brake system is a hydraulic system and the only thing the ABS does is when it sees the brake pedal move to a certain point it kicks in and pulses the hydraulics, which is what keeps the wheels from completely locking up. And if you want to find out for yourself the pull the fuses and take a drive around the block and stomp on the brakes a couple of times to see how they react.

I had ABS on my 91. When the fuses were pulled I eventually lost braking.Tried it twice and usually after 30 miles I had no brakes. I think it's because the system has a lot of fluid and the ABS pump keeps it pressurized. I wouldn't mess with the ABS, just yank it and put in an 96-97 booster and mc. It's a pretty easy swap and you won't have any more issues, plus it stops better. A few connectors, some flaring, and you are better than ever. That era ABS system is quite notorious. Removal is an upgrade.
The amount of time it will take you to swap the axle would be about the same as it will take to swap the new booster/mc in. Lots of intel here on the swap and Madxj.com. I got mine from Davesyjeeps.com for cheap and it came with the prop valve etc.

As i am going to try this but what i have read my 90's abs is pressure driven by that fuse and the break sensor, so if i remove both wont i loose that pressure? I mean this is why i am so confused i dont wanna be driving down the road and loose my breaks haha

A 90 has Bendix ABS! DON'T just pull the fuse if it is, you preferably need to delete the whole ABS system, Bendix ABS is known for failing and leaving you without brakes at random. Search Google for "naxja bendix abs brake" for a few good threads on the subject.

Best result: http://www.naxja.org/html/techarticles/uninstall_OEM_ABS.htm

Yes this is what i was talking about, but if i don't pull the fuse i can just not hook up the speed sensors at the wheels i shouldnt loose breaks, i do plan on doing this swap down the road. So think my idea will work?

I would think so... but from all reports, the Bendix system is liable to fail by itself and leave you without brakes anyways, so I would still remove it.

A 90 has Bendix ABS! DON'T just pull the fuse if it is, you preferably need to delete the whole ABS system, Bendix ABS is known for failing and leaving you without brakes at random. Search Google for "naxja bendix abs brake" for a few good threads on the subject.

Correct a Bendix 9 system does not have a vacuum booster like the 92-up systems have. It relies on the ABS pump for assist. You can later swap it out for a non-ABS setup or upgrade (requires master/booster and brake pedal).

Correct a Bendix 9 system (89-91) does not have a vacuum booster like the 92-up systems have. It relies on the ABS pump for assist! You can later swap it out for a non-ABS setup or upgrade (requires master/booster and brake pedal).

Correct a Bendix 9 system (89-91) does not have a vacuum booster like the 92-up systems have. It relies on the ABS pump for assist! You can later swap it out for a non-ABS setup or upgrade (requires master/booster and brake pedal).

It does not require a brake pedal if you use a 92-96 mc/booster. A 97up booster/mc will require some modification to the rod but not a lot. If you had access to the pedal it's quick and easy to swap but not vital. If I had another one with the Bendix system getting rid of it would be the first upgrade I would make. The Braking is much improved when it's replaced.

Okay, so is there any way around doing this swap and still having breaks till I can get a mc and booster?
Would just unpluging the rear wheel sensors work for the time being?

Okay great! Is there a way I can do this swap and keep my breaks till I get around to doin the swap?
Can't I just unplug the rear sensors and deal with the light in the dash till I get the mc and booster?

Back