• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Snatch block for wire rope ok for synth line?

mizedog

NAXJA Forum User
I need to get a snatch block and am wondering if a traditional block made for wire rope would be gentle on my synth line. I saw one on ebay that's designed for synth line, but it's only rated to 15,000 pounds.

Two questions:
Should I go with a traditional snatch block of look for one made for synth line?
What rating is necessary for an 8,000 pound winch

Thanks!

We've only used the normal one, don't see a reason not to.

The one you're looking at is rated at 15,000 lbs, what's wrong with that? It's more than the line and winch rating, except of course the ratings are doubled with the snatch block. Is the 15,000 a working load rating or breaking/maximum load rating?

Remember that your winch is rated at 8000 pounds, but that is only on the first wind around the drum, so even though the snatch block is only rated to 15k you may never approach that limit if you maintain more than a single wind on the drum when winching.

Back