• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Elec fan replacing stock clutch fan

cherokee4.0

NAXJA Forum User
First off, yes, I read MANY postings after doing a search and I still don't get it.

I'm thinking about getting this 2000 cfm electric fan to replace my metal fan BLADE only: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/14-INCH-12-VOLT-ELECTRIC-RADIATOR-COOLING-FAN-PROCOMP_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ46096QQihZ017QQitemZ270048796004QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

However, I don't know what other parts I need or how to hook them up. I'm reading about "switches" and "relays" but ???

I have ONE wire that goes from a brass "something" screwed into the therm housing to an after-market temp gauge in my dash. Can I use this for an elec fan actuator?

I want the fan to come on at 195 and off at 190.

So what else do I need and where can I by what else I need.

Thanks!

What you have connected to you gauge is a sender and only gives a temperature and is not a switch that will turn on the fans. You have to fit a special one to turn on the fans or use the stock one like I show on my site. www.go.jeep-xj.info
Not sure though what you mean by a metal bladed fan as have never seen one on a XJ?

Im guessing he is talking about the stock clutch fan. I used a 40amp relay and have it turn on when my stock electric fan does. Im thinking about going with an inline resistor on the temp sensor to get it to come on at a slightly lower temp for when it gets hot here.

I don't have experience with that particular fan but I did buy a Zirgo one off Ebay and it has performed great as a replacement main fan. I initially bought the Zirgo adjustable fan temp controller but never installed it. (you want it?) What I did was install a newer style t-stat housing with the threaded boss for the temp switch. Then I used a GM fan switch which works perfectly, doesn't come on until it gets to be about 212-215, then shuts off somewhere around 190-195. Keeps it right in that operating range. Using that GM temp switch just made for a really clean and reliable install. I'll see if I can't dig up the pn# on that.

Ok I dug through my coloring books and Crayolas and found BorgWarner pn#TFS19 or Niehoff pn#DR137XL. Any decent parts store should be able to crossreference those numbers to whatever brand they carry. Doublecheck that though.

Back