• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear axle/brake clunk when shaking wheel.

crazycracka

NAXJA Forum User
Hey, first off I have searched a bit and cant find any good answers, lol..

So today I had some wheels and tires put on the Jeep (90 auto, d35, 3.5 lift). From the tire shop I drove home and noticed a slight clunk in the rear. Got home and gave the body a good shake, got underneath looked around etc. When shaking the body left and right and also if I grab the top of the tire and shake I get a clunk coming from the Brake/axle area. It sounds somewhat like the drum sliding back and forth almost as if the wheel wasnt mounted tight. But it is.

Any ideas. Sorry my description sucks.. lol.

jack up one side of the axle at a time, and re shake the tire, it really sounds like youve got a loose tire, and tire retailers are NOTORIOUS for this.

also look for rub's.

It is normal for the axle shaft to have a slight in and play or looseness. When driving, bouncy the body around on the suspension, or just yanking on the tire, you will commonly hear a clunk from the rear axle as the axle shaft moves. This is common and is not an issue.

Keep in mind, that as suggested, never trust a tire shop. I always loosen the lug nuts and tighten them to the correct torque with my own torque wrench if a shop has had my tires off.

Thanks for the input guys. Before I posted that was the first thing i did. I took the wheel off, Inspected, Put wheel back on still there..

As far as the noise being normal, it wasnt there prior to this afternoon. It almost like the axle is moving far enough now that the drum is going back and forth and hitting the axle tube..

You need to jack it back up and pull the wheel off again. You will see the axle flange better. If it moves back and forth more than 3/16", I would say you have problems. There is just a little clip in the differential that holds the axle in. The whole axle shaft with the tire and brake drum can come out while you are driving. Pull off the dif cover and take a look at the clip and the pin holding it in.

try moving the axles up and down as well-- you may have a wheel bearing going bad. I know I had some clunking when mine went out and it sounded like the axle was bouncing all over the place (maybe 'cuz it was....)

I don't recall is a 1990 D35 axle is c-clip or not. If it's non-clip then you shouldn't have any in-out play. If it's a c-clip (I think it is), then some in-out play is normal.

Ok... Today I took both wheels off. Finally got the drums off, brakes were adjusted way to far out and not allowing the drum to come off. Fixed all that.

The hubs I pulled in and out, up and down, left and right. The only play was in and out and it was like maybe 1/32 almost nothing. That does seem totally normal.

The noise is still there. So thanks to technology I have some videos. I dont recall the noise being there before I had the wheels and tires put on, but I cant imagine that having anything to do with it..

Take a look at the videos and give me some ideas... Thanks!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3AIl-KEHTs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lSDdpQzc92w

Just went out side with a buddy and got underneath it while he shook the body. The noise is definitely coming from the drum. If he grabs the right wheel and shakes noise comes out of the left. If he grabs the left get noise from the right.

So that leaves me to the idea that maybe the C-clips are worn/bent or something of that sort..

I have never really worked on differentials so am I right in assuming what I am assuming? lol

Dana 35 non c-clip - 27 spline, 1.18" diameter shafts, 7.58" ring gear, 2.62" axle tube, 60.5” WMS - used 84-89

Dana 35 c-clip - 27 spline, 1.18" diameter shafts, 7.58" ring gear, 2.62" axle tube, 60.5” WMS - used 90-01

Joe, thanks for the clarification... Now what about my clunk.. :rof:

Well, as you are only getting about 1/32" of movement, and you have a c-clip Dana 35, I would say that the axle is related to but not part of the problem.

You said you had to back off the adjusters to get the drums off--it could be that the minor amount of movement in the c-clip axle is allowing the drum to "clunk" against the brake shoes when the axle floats.

I would call my reply a WAG--same as a SWAG, but without the Science. Check your drums and see if they have worn beyond specs, they may need replacement. :D

When that Jeeps a rockin don't come a knockin! :D

So that leaves me to the idea that maybe the C-clips are worn/bent or something of that sort..

I have never really worked on differentials so am I right in assuming what I am assuming? lol
If the c-clips or shafts were the culprit you would most likely be leaking diff fluid at the axle tube.

I agree with Joe, and would check out the condition of the brakes. If the other side is quiet, compare the brakes and axle play to the noisy side. Are the bushings in the suspension good? Noises can play tricks on you.

You will probably need to adjust your shoes back out to get shorter pedal travel. Over time, the shoes wear a groove into the drum and just the high original drum surface is left to the center of the car. Of course, this means that the drum diameter of the braking surface is getting bigger. (Check vs. spec.)

Hey thanks for the reply's... When I was in there I cleaned and checked everything. It actually looks like the brakes were done right before I bought it. Right now the brakes are adjusted to were they are snug on the drum but not locking it down. BTW the Brakes work and feel 10 times better.

And like I said its not on just one side. I had a buddy shake the left wheel and the right made noise and vice versa. So both sides are doing it. I was under the jeep when he was shaking with my hands on the drums. They are moving in and out. Just slightly but enough to make some noise.

mine is doing the same thing. and it only did this after i took the drums on when installing my lift and after i put on my bigger tires i noticed my back rims do the same thing when i wiggle left to right. Also when i take off kinda fast there is a clunking noise then it goes away after the initial power transfer i guess you can call it.

Any more thoughts on this?

I have been getting a nice rattling over bumps lately and tracked it down to the rear wheels. It does exactly what the OP's does in his video.

Back