• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

OME - Shock Install

TripleDuck

NAXJA Forum User
I purchased my 88 Pioneer last summer - very low miles and a cream puff - totaly stock down to the air in the OE spare. I've had 5 CJ,s and a couple TJs however, this is my first XJ. The ride of the new XJ; however, was dangerously undamped (22 year old shocks have likely met there useful purpose). So, I ordered a set of Old Man Emu shocks and prepared for the installation (there is an OME lift in the future BTW).

So, why is this in tech? Well, I searched the archives only to disocover that broken bolts were a probable event. In my case, things went off without a hitch and I thought I'd share.

The job - I applied PB Blaster on all fasteners every three days for the last two weeks. A couple days ago the brown truck dropped off a package from 4X4 Group Buy.com . This AM, I purchased a set of 5/16" X 1" stainless hardware (preparing for the inevitable). I drug out the impact, air ratchet and, air hammer and went to work. I set the impact on the lowest setting and let kinetic energy do the rest (works much better than static force in braking rusted bolts). Sure enough, all came free with out issue and I was able to install all the shocks in a couple hours (including moving the other cars and motorcycles out/in of the shop) and seeping the mess. I also replaced hardware (with anti sieze of course).

BTW, OME shocks are da bomb and well worth the ~$75.00/shock. 4X4 Group Buy.com was a pleasure to deal with and sent me five seperate e-mails detailing the status of my order.:thumbup: The impact, six-point socket, and PB Blaster was the trick for removal. Anti-sieze and proper torque for install will aide any future wrenching. Just thought you might want to know.

Earlier XJs use quality hardware. Not until later- 92ish?, that Chrysler started to use cheap fasteners that break. My old 87 never broke any bolts, but the 96 and 99 sure do! Quality metallurgy costs money!

Back