• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

unity police lights or pillar mounted kc lights or something

pyrothugg

NAXJA Forum User
i am contemplating putting a unity police light on the jeep that mounts through the pillar or fabing up some pillar mounts much like yj's and tjs have. just wanted you guys input on which looks better and any pointers or pics you have of either set up. im kind of stuck because i can get a really good deal on a unity light and mounting bracket for an xj but on the other hand ive never really seen anyone with pillar mounted lights and i think that could be cool as well. im not really interested in the hood mounted lights that mako accesories or other companys make though. just pillar mounted.or is it dumb and should i just scrap the idea.

I have posted this before, just a simple mount, it works well. I was worried I would knock it off while wheelin but havent yet, came close though!

untitled.jpg

lightbracket001.jpg
\

And it's not cracked from wheelin, that’s from accidentally turning the lights on with the cover on

good point. you brought up something i was woundering about with running lights up on the pillar and that was glare. if its that bad i may just scrap the idea. possibly run the lights off the bumper

awhile ago i looked into getting one of the pillar lights that have the interior handle (law enforcement style). the setup that was specific for the xj pillar was over $200 so i gave up on the idea. i didnt think it was worth potentially messing up the pillar and doing a fab job with a cheaper kit. i like the simple pillar light mounting though as he's posted above. ive seen scoops that are suppose to reduce hood glare, but they def look corky IMO

or add them 2 the 2 lights im already running off the roof on my basket but i dont know because i think 4 lights up top is a little tacky looking

for those interested in the pillar light. the lights can easily be had from junk yards or government vehicle auctions or even ebay if you type in unity light theres tons. then just go to the unity website and ask for the specific mount for your vehicle they are like 20 bux for the mount and it comes with instructions and measurments. i talked to unity and the assured me they have done extensive research and yes you have to be careful drilling into the pillar but if you drill into it following their measurements and diagram and use their hardwhare it will not hurt the structural integrity of the pillar

I found a site where a guy was selling his XJ and he had the police style pillar lights. I have been toying with doing it, as I like the idea that I can aim them when I need to. I am not looking to use them so much as forward driving light but since I tend to find camp at night, it makes looking off to the side of the Jeep much easier. A couple pics

IMG_1985+064.jpg

IMG_1986+065.jpg

The site, http://www.1999jeepcherokeexj.blogspot.com/

I'm a dumb ass. Curiosity got the best of me. I went rummaging in the basement and found my light. And it says Unity, made for Ford. I forgot, I also have a through the roof mount light too. I have no idea where or when I got these.

For glare tape an inch or so of the bottom of the light off with electrical tape. i know it works well for roof lights so possibly for the police style as well.

I just made some mirror light mounts tonight, I am not done with them yet. I cannot decide if I like the setup or not yet.
DSC_6147.jpg

DSC_6151.jpg

DSC_6158.jpg

DSC_6159.jpg

what do you guys think?

nice creative custom job. im guessing no new holes had to be drilled? any loss of vision for the mirror?

Not completely my idea, I saw something similar somewhere but I don't remember where, just improvised.

No new holes, however I might put one self tapping screw from the metal plate into the mirror so the mount doesn't rotate at all. You wouldn't be able to see the screw hole if I were to take them off. No loss of vision at all, the light itself is in the path of the A-pillar and the mount doesn't block the mirror at all.

Just a General Statement...
I personally wouldn't want to use the Police lights as in post #10 not because of cosmetics but because of the size of the hole you have to drill in your A-pillar, imagine what force and stress that is going to be put on that weaker area if you roll over. Just the engineer in me :clap:

Last edited:
Hey guys.. A couple months back I was contemplating installing a couple unity light in the pillar as well. But after a little research I found that by drilling into the pillar you can weaken the structural integrity. Saw a few pictures of some that have rolled on the sides and that area crumples like a can because of the light that was installed.

Just a thought. And if I'm wrong let me know, I would like to install some. :cheers:

unity says if you follow their install instructions they found where you can install the light without hurting the structual integrity of the pillar

all finished for now, I just have to wire them this weekend :(
DSC_6170.jpg

DSC_6171.jpg

DSC_6172.jpg

DSC_6173.jpg

I am probably going to keep them on an angle so I get more light at an angle rather then straight ahead

I kinda like the mirror light idea, and as far as the integrity of the pillar, I would think also it would be compromised, but hard to say when you think about things differantly. I work in the auto industry, and cop cars go through hell and beyond daily. They may not be flexing them like our XJ's, but we don't curb hop 8 inch curbs chasing the bad guys on a daily basis, banging turns at high sp[eeds, some of our surface streets here in p[a are rougher than the trails I drive..LOL and such.. So I would have to believe Unity's claim of remaining strong... I would defiantely think it has to do with what part of the pillar you are going through, and what there kit does to strengthen the pillar back up a lil.. Interesting, I really like the cop light idea for spotting deer, and not freezing my hand while doing so...

Back