• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

extra or larger tranny cooler?

mikeny59

NAXJA Member #300
I installed the oem cooler awhile ago, learned, duh that the 3k weight on my trailer reg means fully loaded, gives me about 2k payload.

So... gonna use it between ny/fl. again. auto, 3.55's, 31's on heavy steel wheels, hot states, should I get a bigger tranny cooler (which in my twisted logic blocks more of the radiator), or a second smaller one and be creative mounting it in that it doesn't block the rad so much, if at all.

Thanks,

Personally (If I remember your going to be interstate commuting?) The OEM cooler should be fine since you'll be moving at highway speed's, also if the return line goes into the heat exchanger in the radiator it's going to be at the temp the radiator is at.

understood, I appreciate the lesson.

I95 all the way :rattle: baby

Last edited:
you almost can never have a big enough tranny cooler. Especially when towing. for starters you need to totally bypass the radiator. if airflow is a concern then add a cooler with a fan. then youll be fine.

I'm using a cooler from a 3/4 ton Dodge truck. It's a tight fit to get it in, but it works good. JIM.

Thanks for the continued replies; have some downtime and want to make the best of it ;)

Mike

Back