• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Turn signal problems

rcktstang

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 99 cherokee sport, and when i engage the left turn signal it functions normally, but when i engage the right signal (passenger side) the signal turns on, along with the drivers side rear hazard. Don't know where to start.

Sounds like a bad ground somewhere....I'd start by taking out both turn signal bulbs and cleaning the contacts on them, as well as their holders, then apply some dielectric grease. Could also have a bad connection in the stalk.

It's most likely just the switch but you should check all the bulbs first. If you good with small parts and electrical stuff you can take the switch apart, clean off any corrosion (green stuff) lube it up again with dielectric lubricate and it should work like new. I've found that if you cycle the hazards and the turn signal a bunch of times it helps. If your not handy get a new switch.

The rear hazard is the same as the rear turn signal light, isn't it? The most likely cause of this is within the multifuntion switch on the steering column. To verify, check for voltage in the brown/red wire coming out of the steering column. It should not have any juice when the right turn signal is on. My info, though, is based on a 2000 wiring diagram.

I've also had some luck working the switch back and forth to "self-cleanse" the contacts.

I had the exact same problem with my 00'. It was the turn signal switch, you can take it apart and clean all the contacts good. Make sure to regrease it, dielectric. Also take careful note of how you take it apart, lots of little parts inside.

Oh as for the self cleanse worth a try but when I took mine apart the dielectric grease had become contaminated and was causing a short. It definetly needed the old grease cleaned out. High humid days made it worse as mine was intermittent.

i have the same problem with my '99 except it's the driver's side that flashes hazard style at the rear. when you find the problem please post it up on here!

Back