• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Bumpstop Question

FallibleXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Hey folks I have (hopefully) quick question about rear bumpstops. I'm currently sitting at 3.5" and my 33's come in next week. I did the normal trimming on the fenders (cut and fold).

As I understand from what i've read and seen on here I need to extend the bump stops front and rear to avoid rubbing badly. Now, how much rear bump stopping is typically needed? My XJ was bought with the upcountry package which to my recollection includes extended bump stops in the rear, will that be enough? Obviously, the real answer is go flex and check it out. However, if the answer is an undeniable yes i will need to extend my bumpstop, then I'll go ahead and buy some.

The following question is would it be better to buy the DPG plates with my 'stock' bump stops? or get extended bump stops (but will they be much longer?) :read:

Okay, so how much longer are the upcountry bumpstops? A lot of places I've looked for bumpstops don't list them in absolute length, they list the length over stock.

just lower the rear bump stops from the frame with box steel.

for the front, add hockey pucks to the coil buckets.

Made the new spring plates / bumpstop plates for my 8.8 swap out of 10"x1/2" plate, bought 3.5 feet (it was a scrap I had to take the whole thing) for 58 bucks. Even if I toss the remaining 2.5 feet of it, I will end up spending half as much as if I bought a set of JKS plates.

Tools required: 9/16" (or 5/8", depending) HSS drill, drill or drill press, measuring implements of choice, angle grinder and a few cutoff discs.

EDIT: oh, I had em the same day, too. Just had to drive across town to pick up the metal stock.

i had the same 3.5" lift with 33s for a while and i bought an extended rear bumpstop and dropped it down with some box steel. then made my own axle plates that mount to the u bolt plate. for the front i bought a 3 inch lower bumpstop inside the coil then made my own upper extended bump stops. i think i went a little overkill with my bumpstops but i didnt like ruining my fenders

youll have to get the tires and cycle the suspension to see where you need bumps. but bump stops are fairly cheap to make. as stated, hockey pucks on your coil buckets and extend your rear bumps. pucks are nice, they are 1 inch tall so apply as needed. lol.

everyones needs are different. i had the 4.5" RE kit with 31s, even with the supplied bumps (i beleive they were 2") i rubbed in the front bad. even ripped a rear flare off.

Back