• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

dead spot help!!

XJ=Fun

NAXJA Forum User
So i just installed iron rock offroads otk kit to get rid of a dead spot and it is still their!! i checked everything in the front end and it is all very tight, my jeep also seems to wander a bit at higher speeds. Could this be the steering box?????I sure hope is not!!! I am lifted 6.5 inches and run the rustys double sheer trackbar, im also running fixed lower control arms that were designed for a 4.5 inch lift, and stock uppers.all info helps

PS> The iron rock offroad otk system kicks ass, i would deff recommend it!

Did you ream the knuckles yourself? If so did you use a drill? When I did my first set up I let the drill just around a little and it f**ked up the holes making the TRE slop around in the knuckle. Also my JCR OTK uses a poly bushing on the passenger side TRE to keep the tie rod from rolling back and forth when you turn the wheel. You can look underneath and have someone turn the wheel and see if this is what's going on. If the tie rod is just rolling instead of turning the wheels you will get a dead spot until the slop is taken up then the wheels start moving.

Last edited:
Could be the box but usually it's one of these two things: One, worn bushings, joints, loose bolts and bent or broken mounts (track bar, upper or lower control arm, ball joints and pitman arm) Don't make assumptions take everything apart and give it a good once over. Most people neglect the upper control arm bushings, they are usually wallowed out or dry rotted to nothing. OTK systems are more sensitive than stock to worn parts it seems. Second, wheel alignment, toe needs to be 1/8 to 0 degrees toe in and pinion angle needs to be set between 5 to 8 degrees, a pinion angle set high will cause wandering and general instability. Lastly and this may wind up being the true cause, if your running a short arm lift on an XJ with a 6.5" lift (with stock arms) you should not expect good ride quality anyway. Either go with long arms or drop brackets, it will bring it back to stock in handling, steering and ride.

Last edited:
could have something to do with stock uppers and fixed lowers that are too short, maybe castor is off? i agree with the Long arm or even drop brackets if youre gonna keep those stock uppers and fixed 4.5" lowers. how new/old is the steering box?
you can get zj boxes for around 50$ and its a quick install. plus ive heard alot that the iron rock kits can cause a dead spot as well. how are you ball joints? track bar tight? rustys track bar new or old? ive heard a ton of bad things about their tre's going out fast ....

my vote is castor being off, and/or the trackbar bracket may be loose... when i had the rusty's tracbar and bracket i could never get the bracket to not move without welding it to the frame... just something else to check

Time to pony up another $500 for a long arm kit ! I also remember now that your trackbar bushing is worn at the axle mount.

it is your box but don't worry it is a simple fix. Andy in pa, the nac pres had the same problem and he found the fix to it is an adjustment screw on the top of your steering box. you don't need to adjust it much in in fact it could be as little as a 1/4 turn will fix the problem. PM Andy in PA for more info on his fix.

it is your box but don't worry it is a simple fix. Andy in pa, the nac pres had the same problem and he found the fix to it is an adjustment screw on the top of your steering box. you don't need to adjust it much in in fact it could be as little as a 1/4 turn will fix the problem. PM Andy in PA for more info on his fix.
Be sure to have someone who knows what they are doing adjust this, you can turn the box sour real quick!

Did you have an alignment after the iron rock kit? The only dead spot I have it the bit of play in my steering box. I'll just wait till it gets worse and go get a lifetime warranty replacement, Thanks napa!

Back