• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

hi-lift mount ?'s

Shane_92-XJ

NAXJA Forum User
k real simple to the point.....im going to make my "attempt" at building a hi-lift/shovel mounting bracket and or 2. wanted to know if anybody has any pictures of any.....might make it easier for me

thanks,

-Shane

you have 48" or 60"? My 60" dont fit inside very well at all so I figured that mounting both shovel and hi-lift on the roof rack will be the ticket

great info guys keep it coming at me info.......yea im definitely looking at the roof rack option i have both a 60 and a 48...between the 2 would be more ideal?

-Shane

I build a custom box for the back of my jeep out of plywood. Ill see If I can find a pic and post up, but anyways it covers the hole back and I bolted the high lift brackets to it and my hi lift sits right behind my rear seat tucked nice and tight out of the way. I have a 48" and wanted to keep it in the jeep out of the weather, so thats why I built my box.

Here is where I put mine...

Some don't like it on the hood. It is not the best but I think it is better than just loose in the cabin. I would prefer to have it in the cabin but I run with kids in car seats and one of the last things I want is to un-do the car seats just to get to the jack.

I threw the jack on the hood and snapped some photos.

The first one is of just the hocky puck half bolted to the hood.

HalfPuck.jpg

This is of the jack on the hood. Please note the scratches are from me having to crawl out onto the hood instead of wading in icy water up to my Hootus.

50percentview.jpg

There is a slight arch to the hood and I do wish the pucks were a bit taller. I do have a wear spot from the jack on the hood. It has yet to wear through the paint.

PaintRub.jpg

Here is the drivers seat view. Notice the hood is visbile everywhere to the left of the centerline except for the handle isolator. That is very minimal loss. If I lean forward or just sit up I can see the ALL of the hood in front of the the Jack.

LeftDriversView.jpg

Here is the passengers side. I can see the corner of the hood. The minor loss of vision is mostly to the area just to the right of the front passengers tire. It is quite minimal and by sitting up or leaning foward you can see around it. Even in the picture you can see the hood just barely above the jack handle.

RightDriversView.jpg

I figure the hood is a compromise position. Yes, the jack is in the weather and possibly the mud. Much less mud than when on the bumper. But no place is safe from the goo that I run in. While I have not swamped the interior yet... It is only a matter of time before the interior gets swampped with the dirty smelly Mounds water that I wheel in.

It is easy to get too. It is never under a bunch of gear. I could even do wing nuts to make it easier... however I carry a 6 inch adjustable in the center console for things like clevis pins and the CB antena and the jack bolts.

If you like it on the hood great. If not that is also OK... you can store your jack wherever you like.

Thanks

Jeff

Since then I have improve on the mounts a bit...They are still basically a hockey puck cut in half.

I built a rack to hold my 48" Hi-Lift along the driver's side rear window (94 2 door.) It bolts in to the factory spare tire mount points, and carries a removable toolbox below the jack. Nice thing about this is that I don't have to unload the entire cargo area to get it out.

Carrying it on the outside on the Midwest is a no-go for me. It'd be rusted up solid whenever it was required.

Back