• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Nuts in a jam...please help

rockjockphatts

NAXJA Forum User
Here's one for ya-

So I'm replacing my front hubs and the damn rental torque wrench I'm using takes a dump and doesn't click...nothing. So I'm quite positive I've overtorqued on of my hubs. I then removed the nut and retightened using my 150 ft/lb torque wrench. I gave it a little extra beyond the 150 ft/lb click to get it to the required 175. I think I'm close, should I bother to get another torque wrench from another store or am I close enough. I'm not sure what the margin of error is on these things, I know it says 175 but I'd rather not make another trip.

THanks in advance

I can get the torque just fine, I want to know if I need to get the exact right torque...
A good three foot 1/2 breaker bar works just fine if you got one of those. :)

I think that quote still answers your question pretty well. I doubt a 3 foot breaker bar is very accurate at reporting torq... :laugh: I.e. sounds like MJR didn't even follow torque specs.. seems to have followed the "make it tight and then give it one extra bit for good luck" rule.

I think that quote still answers your question pretty well. I doubt a 3 foot breaker bar is very accurate at reporting torq... :laugh: I.e. sounds like MJR didn't even follow torque specs.. seems to have followed the "make it tight and then give it one extra bit for good luck" rule.

LOL. It's not really necessary to have it exact, just good and tight (bubba tight). I use an impact gun at work but in the field the breaker bar works good. You could figure out your weight vs. leverage and find out where to stand on the breaker bar if you want. up to 150ft lbs and then breaker tight is fine.

youre fine. im sure something like that doesnt have to be EXACT. 150 plus a little extra shouldnt be a problem. you could check it in a few days after some driving to ensure its still tight.

I'd hang a 30lb weight on the end of a 6 foot breaker bar extension and turn it till it stops by itself, then, uh, use my calibrated arm to crank it just a little bit more

I'm pretty sure you'll be OK with "150+".
We changed a front shaft on my buddys TJ, tightened the nut with a breaker bar, didn't check the torque, than he took it home(about 2500 miles)

I had both front shafts out of my XJ about 3 years ago, again tightened with the breaker bar(same breaker bar, actually) and haven't had any problems in the last 12K miles.

So I think the final consensus is that: "175ft/lb = make it really tight"

I know that's what I did. Really tight, then one extra push for luck... which is why I said it earlier. It hasn't caused issues yet :thumbup:

torque spec: DFT (damn f*ing tight)

If you went slightly past 150 ft-lb, I think you will be fine.

Or do it to the German spec - "Guttentight"

Back