• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Heater Core cut away

Txakura

NAXJA Forum User
warm heater?

even with a cell for pics, you can see the upper half of the stock core is fairly clear, but the lower half is hopelessly clogged up - this is after rinsing the core and finally replacing it

also explains the low output, just can't circulate coolant

pretty fine tubing, the replacement had larger diameter tubes and coarser fins

(clickable thumbs)

Yup seen something similiar in a radiator I changed years ago. Sometimes you can flush/backflush some of the crap out. At work I'll alternate back/forth and use some compressed air to help as well. On my Jeep after I bought it the heater barely worked and the cooling system had been kinda let go. After flushing/backflushing I was getting close to 150* out of the floor vents on high blower which is about what I'd expect to see. Glad you got er done.

I saw a big batch of heater core replacements on an OEM warranty issue where the vehicle build plant had tanker cars of coolant that were not to the correct chemical specifications. The heater cores were rejected as plugged up with a pinkish powdery substance. Dealers ended up replacing engine oil coolers that circulated coolant and radiators in addition to the heater cores. 12-16k miles.

I'd have to say the cause of that is the wrong coolant or shitty coolant that is not compatable with aluminum.

Back