PDA

View Full Version : The "Hope I get it done by Rockfest 2010" thread

CrashSomers
January 12th, 2010, 14:05
Well I will start it off by saying lets use this tread to post what you want done and what you are wishing :firedevilto get done before Rockfest.

Also lets ask for help lets get those wrenching parties planed and help each other all we can.

So I am sitting on a pair of Dana 44's and almost have everything I need to do the following: 3 link long arm the front - Lift the rear - Boatsides - Comp cut the front and rear - Exo internal cage - Install 5.38's and the Aussie lockers - Get some 36's and for the fun of it paint the bitch Atomic Orange. Do I need to before Rockfest nooope. BUT I WANT TOOOOO.:greensmok

:us:

AZRockRunner
January 12th, 2010, 17:26
I hope to have my D60 with Disk brakes done and the Front D44 with RCV Perf shafts and truss done and installed. but its a STREEEETCH due to $$$$$ or the lack there of!!!
Other than that, my rig is just about ready to roll with a new fuel cell and tune up.

Gasman
January 13th, 2010, 17:35
I hope to have my D60 with Disk brakes done and the Front D44 with RCV Perf shafts and truss done and installed. but its a STREEEETCH due to $$$$$ or the lack there of!!!
Other than that, my rig is just about ready to roll with a new fuel cell and tune up.

Don't start any more projects, wheel that thing! LOL. I remember a few months back you saying "I need to do some minor work, should be week or two". You're still working on it!

AZRockRunner
January 14th, 2010, 09:49
No, I have wheeled it since then. Smart azz

CrashSomers
January 14th, 2010, 15:43
Can we get proof.

x*BIGASSALEX*j
January 14th, 2010, 15:45
Need to fix the Tcase that i cracked last week, and then FabMod my Rubicon belly pan... and hopefully have my gummywheels by then.... move my gas tank too

OddBallXJ
January 14th, 2010, 16:27
Can we get proof.

The proof is in the pictures of his tank build. Look at the start date of that build and it was in the carport prior to that! :roflmao::wave1:

AZRockRunner
January 19th, 2010, 18:45
you can all trouble me for a WARM GLASS OF SHUT THE H#!! UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
BAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHA

bigazxj
January 20th, 2010, 07:01
im mid full width swap on woundedxj rig,i just need to get some more wheel studs for the rear and weld up one more caliper bracket. doing a 3 link front. jon says hes getting 35s im trying for 37s we will see what happens.

my buggy is yet agian under the knife,new seats,changing some tube,bringing the rockers up,moving the rear spring hangers,i need one solid day of work to get it done then a couple cracks runs to get used to the new front suspension and wb.

i also need to get my big trailer fixed,replace some of the decking and change the axles to ones that all of the brakes work on. the plan is i will put my slide in camper in my truck and tow jons bumper pull camp trailer,while he pulls both rigs on my 27 foot flat bed.

themud
January 23rd, 2010, 21:40
Ive got to box and raise the rockers, cut and shorten the front bumper some more looks like I'm going to take at least another 3-4" per side... Im also going to try and run some tube to the front bumper under the fenders to stiffen it up a bit... Also going to see if I have time to either build a new rear bumper and move the spare inside it just move it inside and mod the rear bumper for more clearance..

Oh yeah I got new main leafs so I once again have to rebuild the packs and fix them up a bit...

plus whatever else comes up along the way...

themud

stewie
January 23rd, 2010, 22:03
i want to add an extra leaf or two to my pack, weld on new spring perches, and rear bump stops. dont know what will get done though.

Jump This
January 24th, 2010, 14:10
I just hope to have my rig done by then.
If not, I'm riding with my nephew...

:repair:

4xSanta
January 25th, 2010, 11:47
I just hope to have my rig done by then.
If not, I'm riding with my nephew...

:repair:
My money is your ridin with the nephew:laugh3:......SANTA

CrashSomers
January 25th, 2010, 18:18
:roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

themud
February 9th, 2010, 19:30
Rockers have been offcially boxed and raised and I have gained at least 3" of clearance now I need to flip the bolts for the cage feet so they don't drag..

Next on the list is the leaf packs and moving a leaf perch over 1/4" and trussing the rear axle(It'll live longer with 35's and a truss with 5.38's)...

After that the plasma comes out to deal with the bumper needing to be narrowed...

themud

Ive got to box and raise the rockers, cut and shorten the front bumper some more looks like I'm going to take at least another 3-4" per side... Im also going to try and run some tube to the front bumper under the fenders to stiffen it up a bit... Also going to see if I have time to either build a new rear bumper and move the spare inside it just move it inside and mod the rear bumper for more clearance..

Oh yeah I got new main leafs so I once again have to rebuild the packs and fix them up a bit...

plus whatever else comes up along the way...

themud

x*BIGASSALEX*j
February 10th, 2010, 08:43
Need to fix the Tcase that i cracked last week, and then FabMod my Rubicon belly pan... and hopefully have my gummywheels by then.... move my gas tank too

Got a Tcase! :D

vjarman
February 16th, 2010, 18:39
gotta put front bumper on, need to get rockers on and hook up a new recovery tank i got from a friend...

KRAKER
February 18th, 2010, 21:06
Lets see:

Burn in rear 4 link
stiffners
Boatsides
Cage
Finish motor and install
finish engine harness
Shakedown

That's the realistic list. Cause I would rather finsh off my 44's and 3link the front. My income dictates otherwise.I'm taking bets as to whether or not it gets done, or if I'll even be in town to enjoy my hard work.

FLAGXJ
March 12th, 2010, 15:32
Change the fluids in the differentials and tcase
get the rock lights going again
new tie rod ends (so I can wear them out again)
Boatsides??
Tighten everything down
cut the front bumper so I don't rub my new tires

I'm sure a few more things will pop up between now and then.

themud
April 3rd, 2010, 21:52
Im done except for the giant holes in the bodywork in the rear quarter panels and odds are they wont get fixed before rockfest but thats ok by me I even had time to make a new rear bumper that should really help clearences..

who else..

themud

YEAGS
April 4th, 2010, 11:37
Rear bumper finshed and installed,
Cb switched over from the other xj,
Hi lift mounts made and welded,
need to come up with a fire extinguisher and mount that too

Gasman
April 4th, 2010, 12:34
I got a lot of parts sitting on the floor of the garage :D

OddBallXJ
April 4th, 2010, 15:38
I got a lot of parts sitting on the floor of the garage :D

WHY??????????????

I decided to eliminate some dead weight. I know what you're thinking, I'm not letting someone else drive my rig. That weight will have to stay!!!

I removed the rear hatch and covered it with a cargo net and dropped the spare tire. Although, the way I've been cutting sidewalls, I'm not sure if that's a good idea.

Ran UT today. River level is excellent. Enough water to get wet but not drown. There's still some standing water on the trails which make it a bit interesting, but fun. 2 days of work and I'm there!

Gasman
April 4th, 2010, 17:10
WHY??????????????

I decided to eliminate some dead weight. I know what you're thinking, I'm not letting someone else drive my rig. That weight will have to stay!!!

I removed the rear hatch and covered it with a cargo net and dropped the spare tire. Although, the way I've been cutting sidewalls, I'm not sure if that's a good idea.

Ran UT today. River level is excellent. Enough water to get wet but not drown. There's still some standing water on the trails which make it a bit interesting, but fun. 2 days of work and I'm there!

I didn't say work wasn't being done! Got the mounts and pickup system for the fuel cell done. Post Rockfest, the real work begins!

Stop driving into rocks and you won't need a spare! :D

http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l68/gasmanxj/IMG_0943.jpg

Lifted93XJ
April 4th, 2010, 19:55
I need to get my dang ZJ titled so i can trailer the xj to rock fest. My only goal!!

x*BIGASSALEX*j
April 5th, 2010, 12:02
After my TDS trip my rig just gave out and has no start.. I will be doing some trouble shooting this week to get it going... see you guys there

OddBallXJ
April 5th, 2010, 17:53
I didn't say work wasn't being done! Got the mounts and pickup system for the fuel cell done. Post Rockfest, the real work begins!

Stop driving into rocks and you won't need a spare! :D

Everyone told me these tires were indestructible!

x*BIGASSALEX*j
April 5th, 2010, 21:06
Need a CPS and a CAM sensor for an 87 renix... need to find it in a few days

FuzzyD
April 6th, 2010, 08:02
sweet i think im going to make it, get the rest of my lift done in the rear get my front axle in and ill be done :rof:

Wounded XJ
April 12th, 2010, 19:39
im mid full width swap on woundedxj rig,i just need to get some more wheel studs for the rear and weld up one more caliper bracket. doing a 3 link front. jon says hes getting 35s im trying for 37s we will see what happens.

my buggy is yet agian under the knife,new seats,changing some tube,bringing the rockers up,moving the rear spring hangers,i need one solid day of work to get it done then a couple cracks runs to get used to the new front suspension and wb.

i also need to get my big trailer fixed,replace some of the decking and change the axles to ones that all of the brakes work on. the plan is i will put my slide in camper in my truck and tow jons bumper pull camp trailer,while he pulls both rigs on my 27 foot flat bed.

Justin posted this in the wrong spot. Should be in the 2011 Rockfest section.

OddBallXJ
April 12th, 2010, 21:00
Justin posted this in the wrong spot. Should be in the 2011 Rockfest section.

Your build needs to be in the 2011 thread too............... :viking:

Wounded XJ
April 13th, 2010, 21:14
Your build needs to be in the 2011 thread too............... :viking:

His post was talking about my rig!

Gasman
April 24th, 2010, 14:58
Since I didn't get squat done before Rockfest, figure I'd report on the post Rockfest activities. And hopefully I get this all done long before Rockfest 2011!

Here's the start. Rear doors, hatch, and roof be gone!
http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l68/gasmanxj/IMG_0956.jpg

Next comes this turned into a cage:
http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l68/gasmanxj/IMG_0958.jpg

Then the fuel cell:
http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l68/gasmanxj/IMG_0943.jpg

Then swapping in an auto: (it took me a long time but I finally admit autos rule in the rocks)
http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l68/gasmanxj/IMG_0944.jpg

And there's one more potential change but not ready to dish on that one until the part is actually sitting in my garage! Which hopefully is next weekend.
http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l68/gasmanxj/questionmark.jpg

AZRockRunner
April 24th, 2010, 15:15
OOOOOPS, I think you scratched it a LITTLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gasman
April 24th, 2010, 23:03
OOOOOPS, I think you scratched it a LITTLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Damn sawzall! Funny, it actually looks much cleaner now that I got rid of all the dented sheetmetal and busted up hatch. :D

AZXJ
April 25th, 2010, 03:41
Lookin Good Matt..

OddBallXJ
April 25th, 2010, 15:48
I Like !!!!

Gasman
April 26th, 2010, 17:28
I'm waiting for the flood of "It looks like an Avalanche" jokes... :D

themud
April 27th, 2010, 21:05
I'm waiting for the flood of "It looks like an Avalanche" jokes... :D

No it doesn't look like an avalanche it looks more like a ford escape:cry:....
at least until I do that to mine... which wont be long now..

themud

Gasman
April 28th, 2010, 17:29
No it doesn't look like an avalanche it looks more like a ford escape:cry:....
at least until I do that to mine... which wont be long now..

themud

Escape? Ouch! My wife said last night it looks dorky, but she can't picture how the cage will bring it together.

Bring yours over, I've got plenty of sawzall blades and I know exactly where to cut :D

themud
April 28th, 2010, 20:14
Escape? Ouch! My wife said last night it looks dorky, but she can't picture how the cage will bring it together.

Bring yours over, I've got plenty of sawzall blades and I know exactly where to cut :D

:doh:

Gasman
May 2nd, 2010, 17:26
Here's the last big piece to the rebirth that I didn't want divulge until it acutally was in my garage:

Dana 60 with discs and 35 spline alloys.
http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l68/gasmanxj/IMG_0963.jpg

Yummy. 35 spline shafts compared to the D44 shafts.
http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l68/gasmanxj/IMG_0966.jpg

Picked up on Fri, didn't waste any time in removing the previous shock mounts and spring perches so I can mock up under my rig.
http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l68/gasmanxj/IMG_0968.jpg

Wasn't really looking for a new rear end but this was just too good a deal to pass up. Width and bolt pattern already match so it's a simple swap in. Brakes are all brand new with built in parking brake calipers. It's definately massive, but my rudimentary measurements comparted to the 44 is about 3/4" loss in ground clearance once I do a slight shave. Not cutting off the bottom of the housing (yet), there's just a huge lip that can easily come off and make the bottom smooth. I'll see how that works out first before going gung ho.

YEAGS
May 2nd, 2010, 20:21
If you go gung ho I want to be there to watch before I go gung ho on my 14 bolt. And 60 if and when I find one.

Nice Rig I like the chop top. Cut my first XJ like that but got rid of it before I got the chance to build it.

Good work, keep it up!

Gasman
May 2nd, 2010, 21:55
Thanks! If you haven't already, check out the Ballistic 14 bolt shave thread on Pirate.
Have to say that kit is way cool. I really don't want to get into cutting the housing at this point so I'll see if it's an anchor or not first. I plan on going to 37's anyway so I'll get the clearance back.

YEAGS
May 3rd, 2010, 14:37
I think ive seen it i saw a really good one on pirate by Tripod. he shaved 2 and a half inches off turning into an 11 bolt. and was going to use the ballistic diff cover priced at $90. I think he ended up just making his own cover though. But your right the kit is nice.
Im hoping to go to 37's as well.