• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Leaf Springs for 8" lift

andrew2516

NAXJA Forum User
We'll I've been working this out in my head over the past month and I'm still kind of stuck on which leaf springs to go with when I build my 8" lift. I have a shackle that lifts tha back of my jeep now 1.5" from rocky road, so the spring doesn't have to be 8" completly. I do want the rear to be level with the front 8" Skyjacker coils though.

I was looking at the ones on summit from Skyjacker, they are 7.5" but I am not going to pay $250 for ONE leaf spring.

Since that idea is out, I also found leaf springs on from Rustys that are 6.5" of lift that are $299 a pair...thats more in my price range. With my shackle this should give me 8" in the rear, but I'm not really sure about the quality of Rusts products.

Does anyone have any suggestions on leaf springs? Or any experience with the same setup?

dont do rusty's! Seen Cleans and they are nice, or man up and do the Deavers. If you dont have the $ for a quality spring yet your going up 8" I wonder what other parts your not replacing or just throwing on a bandaid in hopes of it working? Steering for one is not cheap at that height and stocker will bind heavily (even at my 6.5"ish, stock was way over its limits).

quite a coincidence, I was just looking at leafs, and found a site, BIGoffroad.com, that makes leaf packs for XJs. They offer 4",6", and 8", all in either a heavy duty version or a flexE, heavy duty is rated to hold 350lbs over factory, so with 350lbs of stuff, you'll still be at the advertised lift of choice. I'm seriously lookin at them, cuz My rough country leafs are sagging since I have so much stuff in the back, plus i'm getting a tire carrier bumper within days, so the HD leafs are just what I was looking for. They aren't really inexpensive, but the price includes both leafs, bushings, and I think it includes degree shims. So, there's my two cents.

If anyone knows more about these BIGoffroad leafs, or is currently running them, I'd love to learn more, before I buy.

clean-rc, do you have them? what shackle are you running? If i wanted to go with the 6" HD, would I NEED the shackle? Thanks man

Adam

ROBERTK said:
dont do rusty's! Seen Cleans and they are nice, or man up and do the Deavers. If you dont have the $ for a quality spring yet your going up 8" I wonder what other parts your not replacing or just throwing on a bandaid in hopes of it working? Steering for one is not cheap at that height and stocker will bind heavily (even at my 6.5"ish, stock was way over its limits).

I know enough about XJ's to know what needs to be upgraded with lifts, thanks.

The bigoffroad springs look good, but still a little pricey, still almost $500 just for the rear leaves and I don't plan on hauling to much in the back of my jeep, so I defanitly don't need the extra height to adjust for weight.

Still thinking about rustys, unless someone else has a better 6.5" leaf pack.

ROBERTK said:
dont do rusty's!(even at my 6.5"ish, stock was way over its limits).
See here's the village wisdom idiot in full force. The question is about running 8 inch lift and you admit to having a 6 inch lift yet insist on giving advice on what one should do to accomplish that which you haven't attempted.
Why reply if you don't know what andrew might consider as options?

I'm Amused!

DaffyXJ said:
See here's the village wisdom idiot in full force. The question is about running 8 inch lift and you admit to having a 6 inch lift yet insist on giving advice on what one should do to accomplish that which you haven't attempted.
Why reply if you don't know what andrew might consider as options?

I'm Amused!

So you recommend rusty's products. QUACK!

Oh and yeah deavers are kinda crappy to recommend huh....

Last edited:
ROBERTK said:
So you recommend rusty's products. QUACK!

Oh and yeah deavers are kinda crappy to recommend huh....

Yes I do recommend Rusty's offroad products. And no, I'm NOT making a negative endorsement of any Deavers Products.
I AM making a statement that you don't have a 8 inch lift, don't use Rusty's Off Road manufactured rear spring packs and are in fact irresponsible for making the claim that someone should not consider a particuliar approach or product, because you really have no clue. That is the point.
Log off, now and go work on your XJ.

DaffyXJ said:
Yes I do recommend Rusty's offroad products. And no, I'm NOT making a negative endorsement of any Deavers Products.
I AM making a statement that you don't have a 8 inch lift, don't use Rusty's Off Road manufactured rear spring packs and are in fact irresponsible for making the claim that someone should not consider a particuliar approach or product, because you really have no clue. That is the point.
Log off, now and go work on your XJ.

I did have a rusty's set of rear leafs YES ONLY A 4.5" set, and they were very harsh and one eye opened. they wanted me to sent the one back so they could look at it, but they told me that I have to pay for the shipping, then once they got it back and if it was determined to be defective and not abused while off roading, they would send me a new one. Umm too questionable. So I bought a set of Rough Country.

Those were much softer and nicer YES 4.5" leafs. But those too had issues twice, and now I went and did what I wish I would have from the begining and ponied up the 600$ for a set of deavers. They have already taken them back once (one week after buying them) and re-arched them for .5" more lift and added a leaf and shims to them for me for free. not to mention they are USA steel, not china or india.

So to try and convince you that rusty's will be fine and that the extra cost for a american made set of better steel is not worth it would be wrong. But to say that you get what you pay for, well now in the case of springs I found to be very accurate. You?

No, I dont have 5,6,7,or 8" leafs. But to recommend any of the rusty's springs to someone (IMO) is not doing them justice. I am mearly expressing my opinion as to manufactures directly asked about product. SInce he direct Q was in regards to Rusty's leafs...

Ok off to the garage I go to work on my Heep.. Thanks..... :D

ROBERTK said:
I did have a rusty's set of rear leafs YES ONLY A 4.5" set, and they were very harsh and one eye opened. they wanted me to sent the one back so they could look at it, but they told me that I have to pay for the shipping, then once they got it back and if it was determined to be defective and not abused while off roading, they would send me a new one. Umm too questionable. So I bought a set of Rough Country.

Those were much softer and nicer YES 4.5" leafs. But those too had issues twice, and now I went and did what I wish I would have from the begining and ponied up the 600$ for a set of deavers. They have already taken them back once (one week after buying them) and re-arched them for .5" more lift and added a leaf and shims to them for me for free. not to mention they are USA steel, not china or india.

So to try and convince you that rusty's will be fine and that the extra cost for a american made set of better steel is not worth it would be wrong. But to say that you get what you pay for, well now in the case of springs I found to be very accurate. You?

No, I dont have 5,6,7,or 8" leafs. But to recommend any of the rusty's springs to someone (IMO) is not doing them justice. I am mearly expressing my opinion as to manufactures directly asked about product. SInce he direct Q was in regards to Rusty's leafs...

Ok off to the garage I go to work on my Heep.. Thanks..... :D

So you bought a set of Rusty's springs and had to send them back, and they got fixed. Then you bought a set of Rough Country Springs and had to send them back twice? and THEY got fixed? And then you decided to buy a set of custom Deavers springs for 3 times the price and HAD to send them back and THEY got fixed?
Yeah You're right, I'll take all the Rusty's Off Road Products stuff off my Xj tomorrow and buy whatever you recommend. You're experience is obviously the way to go, and I will only listen to you before I add anything to my little XJ.

:worship:

I'm going to side with RobertK on this one. If you plan on loading up with Rusty's gear, leave the jeep at home and ride bitch with someone else. I, like pretty much everyone else in the area, have seen too many rusty's parts - leafs included - break or otherwise fail under what should be very light use. There's a reason so many people bag on Rusty, and it's not just his deplorable customer service.

DaffyXJ said:
So you bought a set of Rusty's springs and had to send them back, and they got fixed. Then you bought a set of Rough Country Springs and had to send them back twice? and THEY got fixed? And then you decided to buy a set of custom Deavers springs for 3 times the price and HAD to send them back and THEY got fixed?
Yeah You're right, I'll take all the Rusty's Off Road Products stuff off my Xj tomorrow and buy whatever you recommend. You're experience is obviously the way to go, and I will only listen to you before I add anything to my little XJ.

:worship:

Nope.. not about to get screwed on shipping cost too, since they were Used and prolly"abused" by some peoples opinion... trashed em

Yep... They dont care to "evaluate" so no shipping back cost.... sold em

Nope, I live about 10 min from them and I did it to better tune the leafs to my Exact liking and application, knowing that their customer service is what it is. and you pay for it, so might as well use it...

Cool... So you are coming out of the closet, and realize you have all thier crap on your rig now and its the best thing to do.. :wave1:

:peace:

To each thier own in what they want to spend thier money on. For me after too many poor dicissions, trying to save money.. I may have learned, but doubtful...

I love my Rustys Leaf Packs.. Not too bad of a ride, but what do you expect with a lifted XJ, and they net more than they said.. My 3" are at 4.5" lol

cal said:
I'm going to side with RobertK on this one. If you plan on loading up with Rusty's gear, leave the jeep at home and ride bitch with someone else. I, like pretty much everyone else in the area, have seen too many rusty's parts - leafs included - break or otherwise fail under what should be very light use. There's a reason so many people bag on Rusty, and it's not just his deplorable customer service.
Me too, although RobertK seems to have terrible luck with leaf packs, leaf springs aren't really something you want to chinz on, I paid way too much for mine but then again, I've never had to replace them.

TheArsonist21 said:
I love my Rustys Leaf Packs.. Not too bad of a ride, but what do you expect with a lifted XJ, and they net more than they said.. My 3" are at 4.5" lol

I expect a lifted XJ to ride like a Cadillac, and mine does.

I would recommend Rustys 6.5" leaf springs. They give more than the 6.5" lift that Rustys advertises. I HAD the leafs installed WITH 1.5" lift shackles WITH somewhere between 300-500 LBS of tools/spare/gear/HD rear bumper. The rear was sitting wayyy too high even with all of the weight on the rear of my XJ... So I took the bottom 2 leafs out on each side of the pack to lower it down a bit. My 37s still stuff like a champ in the rear.

What size tires do you plan on running with 8" lift? 38s?

Back