• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

canister in the bumper

when did jeep (chry/dodge) start putting them in the dang bumper?? my 89 has it mounted under the coolant res. next to the firewall on the passengers side.

thanks for the link Begster.

when did jeep (chry/dodge) start putting them in the dang bumper?? my 89 has it mounted under the coolant res. next to the firewall on the passengers side.

In the XJ it's been behind the bumper since at least 87 from the factory. 89-91 had ABS under the pressure bottle.

guess they forgot to add the abs to my limited? or is that WHY it's called a LIMITED? :laugh: it is VERY limited as to what it does have!

as much as i've been under the front-end of it, i've never noticed any bottles in the bumper. just the air-intake on the drivers side & the battery on the pass. side.

hey begster, thanks for the link! i'll go to my local pick&pull tear one out and maybe see about creating a smaller one to stash in a better place, know of any links to clean up my relay fender or tricks, i hear of people doin it, im doin my first XJ and its gonna be a while to get things my way in her!

guess they forgot to add the abs to my limited? or is that WHY it's called a LIMITED? :laugh: it is VERY limited as to what it does have!

as much as i've been under the front-end of it, i've never noticed any bottles in the bumper. just the air-intake on the drivers side & the battery on the pass. side.

Your better off without that crappy ABS they offered in those years.

It's supposed to be there. There are 2 holes in the bottom of the front bumper on the passengerside that one of 2 different vacuum reservoirs mount to.

Your better off without that crappy ABS they offered in those years.

It's supposed to be there. There are 2 holes in the bottom of the front bumper on the passengerside that one of 2 different vacuum reservoirs mount to.

i know all to well how crappy ABS realy is. had it on my 92 z34 lumina... hated it then & hate it now.

And a reservoir for the HVAC to hold the position you select (defaults to defrost) when the engine has low vacuum like climbing hills or accellerating.

Relocating the vacuum reservoir to the engine compartment is a common mod, it eliminates the crack-prone plastic vacuum line by the battery. It is nearly always done when an aftermarket bumper is installed.

funny thing. a few years ago before i knew a whole lot about cherokees, i had a professional offroad/fab shop build and install a bumper on my jeep. i never knew about any vaccuum cannister. the cruise control and ac stopped working and i never knew why. they didn't even tell me they removed it.

funny thing. a few years ago before i knew a whole lot about cherokees, i had a professional offroad/fab shop build and install a bumper on my jeep. i never knew about any vaccuum cannister. the cruise control and ac stopped working and i never knew why. they didn't even tell me they removed it.

Nice! Mines still in the same place with my aftermarket bumper.

Back