• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

need help please. AW4 only has 2nd and 3rd gear

tucke

NAXJA Forum User
I was out wheeling and after getting through some mud the jeep felt sluggish. once I was up to 30mph it was fine and then it wouldn't go into 4th. at 55 to 60 there is no kick down regardles of the ammount of skinny pedal. I was looking at Gojeep's website and it shows that if solonoid 2 were stuck on you would only have 2nd and 3rd gear. is it possible that a connecter got bumped or something when I was getting bumped around. It is my DD. Please let me know if you have any ideas or things to check. cheers

Possible you got crap in a connector or NSS switch. When it sees a problem the trans may stay in a certain gear or just revert to hydraulic shifting.

Yes, it's entirely possible. Unplug connectors, spray them out with some sort of contact cleaner solution (not water, obviously), reconnect, see if it fixes it.

Pull the in-line fuse or unplug the TCU, if the transmission shifts manually then your problem is electrical--fuse/TCU/NSS/harness/solenoid.

Thanks guys for the help. Just wanted to update. I went out in the morning to look it over and couldn't see anything out of place. I started it and it is shifting fine. weirdst thing. Thanks for the suggestions. cheers

You can also directly test the solenoids in the tranny through the wiring harness at the TCU under the dash.

Thanks guys for the help. Just wanted to update. I went out in the morning to look it over and couldn't see anything out of place. I started it and it is shifting fine. weirdst thing. Thanks for the suggestions. cheers

That happened to me. It turned out being my NSS. Take it off and clean it real good then reinstall it.

Back