• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

01 Heated/Power Seats in 98... with harness?

So recently I found a full set of heated/power leather seats in a 2001 Limited, and got em from the junkyard for $150. I also got with that, the center console (with heat switches) and the wiring harness that was under the carpet. I have a 1998 Sport...

I've been looking for days on how to do this, and tonight I found I didn't have the pigtail connector on the passenger side that the harness should connect to. How do I hook up the 2001 harness to work with my 1998 Sport? I've seen different ideals (hardwiring, separate wiring for heat & power, etc.), but I haven't seen how someone would hook up the 01 harness to a 98. Please help, I'm completely switching the two interiors and I want this to be as little work and as simple as possible. Thanks!

You also need the Seat Heat Interface module. I don't know where it's located.

-The power flows from a 25A circuit breaker.
-Through a relay (controlled by run/acc) and seat heat switches to Interface module.
-Interface module to both seats.

So, the answer to your second post is no.

You also need the Seat Heat Interface module. I don't know where it's located.

wait, i'm confused. the wiring harness connects to the seats (both power and heat), to the switches, AND to a "seat heat interface" module?

I don't mean to sound like an ass, I just didn't think it was that complicated. But it seems it always takes twice as long, cost twice as much, and is twice as hard as you think. Thanks

edit: I was doing some research, apparently the "Seat Heat Module" is located under the front passenger seat. Makes sense since the plug from the harness to the passenger seat is huge compared to that of the driver's seat.

Last edited:
Update: I found an unused pigtail, harness connector doesn't match up, but I was fooling around and matched up the similar color wires from the pigtail to the harness, and the power function now works. The heat also seems to work, but not when the power is working right. I'm still messing around, and I think I can figure all this out by tonight.

If anyone knows what exactly to do to connect the seat wiring harness from a 01 to the unused pigtail next to the rear seats of a 98. Lemme know before I blow something up. Ha!

Update: I found an unused pigtail, harness connector doesn't match up, but I was fooling around and matched up the similar color wires from the pigtail to the harness, and the power function now works. The heat also seems to work, but not when the power is working right. I'm still messing around, and I think I can figure all this out by tonight.

If anyone knows what exactly to do to connect the seat wiring harness from a 01 to the unused pigtail next to the rear seats of a 98. Lemme know before I blow something up. Ha!

if you do happen to blow it up... POST PICS!!! :explosion:flame:

just jokin man. i been lookin for some good GRAND seats to replace the worn-out ones in my 89 limited (power just not heated).

good luck & keep us posted!

if you do happen to blow it up... POST PICS!!! :explosion:flame:

knowing my luck, I'd be hurt or burned or something, and the car would be fine.

Update: Power seats: working, just matched up the red wire from the pigtail to the red wire from the harness.

Heated seats: semi-working, it can work all the time (car on or not) and I read that that's not supposed to happen. Also, and I think this is related, the back lighting on the switch panel is always on too. Maybe a blown relay? Also, the driver's side only blinks on Hi. I have read that that is an "Open Heat Source" but I have no clue what the means.

Any help on what an "Open Heat Source" means and how do I get it to only work if the car is on? The second being less important than the first. Thanks guys!

well the 01 interior is completely in. I ran a wire from the harness to the cigarette lighter. The back lighting comes on when the car is on, but both seats give me that "Open Heat Source" error code. The passenger seat sometimes works, but I can never tell, the LED just doesn't flash.

I don't know where to start, any idears? Esp. since there are so many things that could go wrong with these heated seats...

Update: So the drivers side heat never worked. I read up about it, took it apart, cut into it and found a section where it looked like it burned out, and splice connected those blue wires. I then got bored and upset so I made a home made current/connectivity checker thingy out of batteries and a light bulb; here is my issue...

from the heat section, there's 4 wire connector. 3 wires goto the main seat, 1 goes to the front, then comes back and meets back up with the other 3 (in the front was where the missing link was). When they meet back up, the wire from the front goes right, and meets back up near the front, turns into a blue wire and zig-zags down then back up, then turns into a green wire, which goes back to the original 4 wire connector. The other 2 wires from the connector go straight down the middle, connect at this metal disc about the size of a pearl. This is my issue. there is no connectivity between the two wires, they don't go anywhere else. Looks like there's a slim piece of rubber in the middle of the disc, so that would explain it, but why/what is this?

I checked the connect of the back cushion of the seat, and that works. I'm only worried about this metal disc because I don't want to put the whole thing back together and find out I could of fixed it while it was all unbuilt/torn out. Lemme know if anyone has had any kind of remote experience, or if anyone has a clue what that metal disc is and if it should have connectivity/current between the two brown wires that touch it. Thanks!

I'm almost there!

Sidenote: Passenger works from time to time, but the Hi heat never seems to get real hot, just kind of warm, which you can't even feel through clothes, and I don't have many naked people riding shotgun, so I'd like to fix/upgrade/do what ever I gotta do to make it hotter. It also takes FOREVER to even feel the little heat it does put out.

Update: Driver seat now fully works. Apparently those two brown wires that link to that metal disc seem to be a ground. It still doesn't get that hot, but I'll worry about that another night. The passenger seat seems to be working sometimes and not other times. When it does work I can barely feel the heat, when it doesn't work, it throws the Open Heat Source code. Guess I'll have to take that one apart too. Night.

The Chrysler OEM Seat heaters never seem to last long, I Had a brand New 00 G/C Limited that I had to take in to the dealer 3 times (Before I gave up) with seat heater problems, When I Swapped ZJ leather seats into my XJ I did not even bother with the factory heat, I just swapped in These
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Heat...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories
When I was installing them I noticed all the OEM heating elements in the ZJ seats were cooked anyway.
3 Years of heavy use and they are still good to go!

Hey Pirate, I seem to following in your exact footsteps! I found a 01 Limited being parted out, and scored all the seats for a song! I have a 98 Classic they're going into.

I looked over the wiring diagrams--to make sure and have my dad pull everything, as I'm 200 miles away from the donor vehicle.

I located the disc you refer to, with the tan wires. It is called the "Heated Seat Sense", and I think it does one of two things:

• Sense when someone is sitting in the seat and turn on the heat via realy.
  • Sense the temp in the seat element and turn it on or off like a thermostat or thermistor.
Does anyone know more about heated seats and want to clue us in?

Let me know how things shook out and I'll let you know when I take on this project in the next few weeks.

PS: What other interior items are you swapping? Woodgrain?

Last edited:
Back