• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

roof rack/roof slider material??

tjfritz325

NAXJA Forum User
I am planning on making a roof rack/slider combo. Im wondering what thickness of tube I should use for this. I know that the roof rack doesnt need to be to terribly strong but the sliders need to be. Any input would be greatly appriciated.

Thanks

I'd say 3/4" or 1" pipe, probably some medium wall, .120? Thin wall I would think could dent and warp from your cargo, and you don't want real thick wall because I would guess that weight on the roof might make it top-heavy.

I used 2"x3", .120 wall square tube for my sliders. I will be replacing them with 2"x3" .188 or .250 wall tubing shortly. (The 1/8" stuff bent )

I think I misread it, are the sliders gonna be for the rockers or driprails? If their for the rockers do what tbburg said.

I used 2"x3", .120 wall square tube for my sliders. I will be replacing them with 2"x3" .188 or .250 wall tubing shortly. (The 1/8" stuff bent )

Can we get a pic see how far they stick out? I'm gunna cut out my rockers and do that. But I was thinking 2 by 5 or 6

Top hat rack, 1 inch 120 wall!

Can we get a pic see how far they stick out? I'm gunna cut out my rockers and do that. But I was thinking 2 by 5 or 6

Top hat rack, 1 inch 120 wall!
Pictures! OH BOY!
I don't have any. :D . . . At least not any good ones.

I might have misunderstood what you're planning. I didn't cut my rockers away and replace them. I made guards (rock rails) They stick out about 1/2" past the widest bulge on the door. Here's a pic down from above.
7224_104052872940678_100000078979196_116783_2793041_n.jpg

Just ignore that black thing to the left. It's unimportant.(until I get stuck anyway :roll: )

I'll take some better pics and post 'em up.

I made mine out of sch. 40 pipe. It weighed 103 pounds.

DSC04733.jpg

DSC04856.jpg

The name stickers were a joke for my wife, the first tree took them off.

I only bolted them to the stock roof rack holes. It worked great for the short time I had the jeep, I was eventually going to tie it into a full exo, but sold the jeep before I got to that. I hit them pretty hard up at Evans Creek, and they didn't budge...

.095" should be more than enough for "roof" rack sliders.If your laying more weight on them than that,your rolling over anyways.Structure is where its at,not wall thickness!

Back